Question About Installing New Operating System On Old Computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirabella, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Mirabella macrumors regular

I have a new 2010 MacBook Pro, which came with OSX version 10.6.3 installed on it. It also came with the DVDs for re-installing OSX 10.6.3.

I also have a 2006 2.16 Ghz MacBook Pro. It used to have OSX 10.4.1 installed on it. The hard drive died, and Apple replaced it. The new hard drive came with system 10.5.8 installed on it. They didn't include DVDs for re-installing the operating system.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use my system installation DVDs that came with my new 2010 i7 MBP to install OSX 10.6.3 on my 2006 MBP?

Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. The discs won't work in the 2006 MBP.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The gray restore DVDs are machine specific and can't be used for that other Mac. Just get the SL upgrade DVD for 29USD and use that.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Snow Leopard costs $29, just buy it at your local store.

5. Mirabella thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Scratch that idea.

It's not worth buying Snow Leopard for my old one; I'm about to put it up for sale. I just thought it would be nice to put the latest OS on it, first.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You might want to get the disc. Just so that you can perform a secure erase of the hard drive before selling to someone you do not know.

7. Mirabella thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but the new hard drive is new and empty, other than OSX 10.5.8, anyway.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can erase the disk using Firewire target disk mode.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I assumed you had been using it for a while after replacement. I did not know it went from replacement to sale.

Wouldn't this also work for installing 10.6.3? As the grey disc would just see an external hard drive. After that there are no more checks I am aware of.

Though this would have the same results of piracy as the license was not bought.