Question about installing OSX on new HD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LSUtigers03, Jul 23, 2008.

1. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I recently bought a new HD and I installed OSX on it with no problems. I then erased my old HD with disc utility. Now I want to reinstall OSX on the old HD so I can use it as an external HD. When I insert the OSX disc nothing happens. Is there anyway I can to it while the HD is in the enclosure or does it have to be in the computer because for some reason the OSX start up isn't coming up when I put the HD in the computer.

2. halcyo macrumors newbie

You mean you want to use the old HD as an external drive WITH your new system drive?

You don't install an operating system on an external drive (unless you will use it with a computer that does NOT have any other drive with an OS installed! If you are using the external drive just for more storage or backup, it just needs to be formatted as a secondary drive within OSX on your main computer.

You'll use Disk Utility in OSX to 'format and setup' the external drive, which will then start out as completely empty.... I'm not an expert on this exact process though, so maybe some others around here can help you further...

halcyo

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Just use Carbon Copy Cloner to put your new drive onto your old drive.

4. LSUtigers03 thread starter macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Thanks Halcyo. Haha now I feel dumb that it was that simple.

5. halcyo macrumors newbie

So you got it up and running?