Question about installing ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jordandmb, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jordandmb macrumors newbie

Hello i just installed 8gb of ram into my MBP, this is the first ram I have ever replaced on any of my PC's or Macs. So I just followed the steps on the apple site and I think I did ok everything seems to be working, but I guess I'm just over thinking this, and my question is would I know if I didn't install my ram correctly?

Or I guess my question is as I use my mac throughout the years the ram isn't going to stop working or anything is it? like if I messed up a pin or something? like I said I have never installed ram before and I wasn't all that delicate with it, it seemed to me I had to use a litte force to get it in and out. I know I'm just over thinking this, but I thought I'd ask just to be safe i'm not the most computer savvy one out there.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

If you didn't install the RAM correctly (or installed incorrect, incompatible RAM) the computer wouldn't even start and/or you would get constant freezes (beachballs) and kernel panics.

From what you've described it doesn't look that way, but don't get rid of the old RAM yet, just in case. Wait and see if the replaced RAM continues to work correctly.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It does take a bit of force to replace the RAM, especially inserting the new stuff to seat it properly. If it works, you did it right.

4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

And then there's the obvious method to see if your RAM is correctly installed... that would be to select "About this Mac" under the Apple Menu.