Question about Installing/Uninstalling Apps.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krawfo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. krawfo macrumors regular

May 4, 2011
    I'm a recent Windows convert. I learned the hard way that the best way to slow down a Windows machine was to install and uninstall lots of programs.
    When I drag a Mac app to the Trash, am I leaving behind bits of the app. that will ultimately slow my system down?
  2. cptbigt macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2009
    It has never seemingly slowed down my computer however you are indeed leaving behind files. Try an app like appzapper, which will help to clean up the uninstall process a bit.
  3. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    No, the only files that are left behind are preferences and (rarely) support files, none of which have any effect on your computer whatsoever except to occupy a small amount of space. You can get rid of them if you want, but there's really no reason you need to. Since Mac OS X is absent of any registry or similar implementation, only Applications that are in use affect your performance in any way.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    No, having files stored on your hard drive has no effect on system performance. They only take up disk space.
    In most cases, app removal software like AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: