Question about installing windows 7 on a Late 2009 mac min

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by episodic, Dec 15, 2010.

1. episodic macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 'late 2009' mac mini. I just got a new mac, and my wife has an older computer. I'd like to give her the mac. However, she does not like OSX and would exclusively want to run windows 7 off of it.

So if I want to wipe the drive totally, can I install windows 7 64 bit native without OSX on the drive (I know I need the drivers off the disc). I basically am looking for an install guide or confirmation it will be as easy as slipping in the Windows 7 disc and rebooting.

Any step by step advice is welcome, it has been a while since I fooled with this.
    I'd rather do it native w/o osx as she as a ton of data to store and this one only has the 160gb harddrive.

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

1. Get external drive large enough to house the contents of your current OS X install
    2. Use CCC or SuperSuper to clone the current OS X install over to the external, this way you can always boot OS X if/when you need to
    3. Reboot the Mac with the Windows 7 64 bit install disc in the SuperDrive holding Alt/Option on the Keyboard, select the W7 CD as the boot source.
    4. When it prompts you for the destination of where to install W7, wipe out the current Mac OS partition and create new NTFS partition as destination for Windows 7.
    5. Proceed with install as if you were on a "regular" PC.