Question about installing with TWO drives, in a 2009 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, May 23, 2017.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hello - please read carefully, because I am NOT asking how to install Windows on a secondary disk:

So, I am aware that Windows usually presents a problem when you're trying to install it on a secondary HDD/SSD, in a non-Retina MacBook Pro...

However, I'm wanting my secondary disk to have BOTH Windows and Linux on it; so I was thinking about going about the special method for install Windows (which entails removing the OSX driver before doing so and then putting it back in afterwards) and then just installing Linux alongside Windows, as-is.

Will this work - or does Linux also get tripped up by the fact that there's a separate OSX SSD inside the machine? Also, can I install Linux alongside Windows and still be able to choose which to boot into, or should I play it safe and - before I do anything - install the rEFInd boot manager?

Thanks,
    -MDD

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I think it could be doable with rEFIt, but haven't tried it myself.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Have you tried more than two operating systems on a Mac? I actually might not even need rEFInd. Just wondering, though, if my default boot manager would recognize Linux if I were to go through the installation normally and select the 'Install alongside Windows' feature. (That would be OSX on the main SSD and Windows+Linux on the second SSD.)