Question about Integrated and Discrete graphics...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Molson1020, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Molson1020 macrumors regular

So I have a 2011 17" MBP with Lion 10.7.2

I've noticed that my battery life has been AWFUL (averaging around three hours). I've calibrated it, PRAM reset, SMC reset, but none seemed to help. I just downloaded gfxcardstatus 2 and set the graphics to "Integrated" and now my battery life has jumped up to well over six hours.

My question is, will integrated graphics be good enough for heavy photoshop use (file sizes of about 1GB)? Or would switching to discrete graphics help at all with this? I don't ever play games on my MBP, just typical CS5 work. Will Integrated by sufficient enough for this? (note: I've also upgraded to 8GB of ram).

2. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I suggest trying to use the integrated graphics exclusively, and if you get lagging graphics, then switch back to the discreet. You have nothing to lose...

3. Gurutech macrumors 6502

I really don't think PS is graphic heavy. It's process heavy and memory heavy.
    The integrated should be enough for PS. You can test yourself anyway.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just give it a shot.
    Just remember most Apps don't really support GPU switching it needs a relaunch after switching to work properly. If you are on dGPU and switch to the IGP while running PS, you will notice some poor performance. If you switch while running an app relaunch the apps.