Question about iOS 4.2 and AirPlay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -Garry-, Sep 28, 2010.

1. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Will the new AirPlay feature coming in iOS 4.2 allow me to stream music/video from my iTunes Library on my Mac to my iPhone?

It'd be nice to be able to play any of the media on my Macs (in another room) to my iPad while I'm in bed or something - saving me having to sync it first. I'm doing this using AirVideo at the moment, but can't currently do it with music.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. cthielen macrumors member

I think your answer explains this but I just wanted to get some clarification: so, from my iOS 4.2 iPhone 3GS, I would be able to hit play in the iPod app and have it come out on my AirPort Express speakers?

4. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I'd like to know if we can display webpages we're viewing on the iPhone to the AppleTV so we can see them on the big screen. GoogleTV has this ability but I've seen no mention of it for AppleTV.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I currently have the iOS 4.2 beta 3 on my iPad (not on my iPhone), so here is what I know.

This is based on the iPad, but when you enable AirPlay from the iPod app (or an embedded YouTube video in safari) all the sound from the iPad gets sent to the Apple TV or Airport Express. That includes Slide to Unlock sound, game sounds, video sound, notifications, keyboard clicks, everything, the Apple TV replaces your iPad speakers. This is why I think Apple switched the Orientation Lock to a Mute Switch so that not all the sound will transfer over, only vital sounds like music and video transfer over.

With that being said, I have have played Real Racing HD on my iPad in a local game with my brother and sister on their iPod touch's and I have enabled AirPlay to send the audio to our Home Theatre Surround System in our Living Room, let me tell you, that was an awesome experience (at least for me), also Tap Tap Radiation was fun.

ogdogg, as far as i know, once Video AirPlay is enabled in November it will only transfer over audio/video and not entire webpages. Google does allow you to view webpages on the Google TV, but as I noticed from the Engadget Show on saturday, it was very laggy, and not ideal.

6. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

No, but jailbreak and i guarantee you someone will make an app to do it soon.