Question about iOS 5 (folders)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yellowstone2012, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Yellowstone2012 macrumors regular

I'm wondering if Apple has improved the folders feature from iOS 4 such as "unlimited" apps inside a folder.

Thanks.

PS: I don't think this would be breaking the NDA as "folders" already exists in iOS 4; correct me if I'm wrong though.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Nothing's changed re folders.

3. Yellowstone2012 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be re-requesting then...

Currently, the usefulness of "folders" is low. (as you have to create a new folder after folder 1 already has 12 apps.)

4. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Nope, no change.

--

No offence, but one person requesting / suggesting something isn't enough, there would need to be more people wanting the feature (suggesting that as you have done to Apple).

5. Yellowstone2012 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

Though it is annoying when I have to create an "Apps 2" folder when my "Apps" folder is filled.

6. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I see Apple implemented your idea in the future when the time is right. The feature definitely isn't out of question.

7. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Having a scrolling folder is dumb IMO.

12 is perfect. There's no reason why you can't make a Games 1 and Games 2 folder. It still reduces clutter.

Apple has always kept their apps to what fits on the Springboard, they aren't going to change that per your request, sorry.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

That's like saying you can only put 12 pieces of paper inside a normal folder, where if you tried, you caould definitely hold maybe 100+ papers in that folder.

The whole idea of folders is to organize things and save space. How can you save space when you have to make numerous folders for one category of apps?

The OP never said they would just automatically change it because HE wants it like that and I'm sure he understands that.

We all have our opinions, but you need to get down off your high horse.

9. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

hope folderenhancer is updated to iOS5 because that allows me to have one folder for the appropriate apps. Games, everything, all there. If these are post PC items, I think I should be able to have as many apps as I want in a folder. I could have hundreds of games..that's too many folders..

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

He said he'll be re-requesting.

Also, you are STILL saving space. Having 2 folders for 24 apps, compared to the 24 apps just being loose is only using 1/12th the space, which is a great figure if you ask me. You can hold like 1150 apps on the iPhone right now, there's no reason to have more than that. No one in the world ACTUALLY uses 1000 apps.

I'm sure Apple realizes that some people would have a use for this, but they are all about structure, and having a scrolling folder really just make the folder useless. If you can scroll up and down in a folder, then there is no reason why you are using foldering the first place, as the Springboard scrolls left and right.

I can understand that 12 apps in a folder isn't enough all the time. But i'm willing to just make a second folder with the same name to keep the fluidity of the OS.

That's just my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

11. jonrando macrumors 6502a

If he wants to re-request, then so be it.

YOU'RE willing to make a second folder. Some people think otherwise and want to be extra organized and have all apps from a certain category in one folder.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Exactly, hence why I said it's my opinion.

That said, I am inclined, however, to having folders within folders. Say, a Games folder, then split into Action, Adventure, Strategy, etc.

I just hate the idea of scrolling folders. It's not the way it was built to be.

13. paulcdb macrumors regular

You could just re- organise your folders into types of games or apps.

Social for Facebook, G+, etc
    Racing for real racing, need for speed
    Puzzles, Strategy... The list is endless and much better than scrolling folders!

If you had more than 12 you'd have to scroll and that would more annoying and making the icons smaller isn't an option as that would make selecting them hard for some people.

14. aztooh macrumors 6502a

When you call out someone's idea as "dumb", you're doing more than just stating your own opinion.

Being able to put more than 12 apps in a folder and scrolling is in fact useful. I'm sure the OP isn't the ONLY person who has requested it.

I wonder how many people thought creating folders was unnecessary. Nothing wrong with progress and giving people some options. If you want to keep your own folders limited to 12 apps since scrolling in a folder is so dumb, cool, don't add more than 12. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to add a settings toggle selector for 12/18/24...whatever amount...of apps per folder.

It's really disgusting how some on here talk down on others' ideas because they don't have a use for it or just think whatever Apple does is the perfect way to do it. Grow up.

15. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I agree with you Jonrando. However, I think I agree with mikelegacy. 12 apps in one folder seems like a practical folder, and having to scroll on the springboard can seem like a pain. I think how practical the way folders run is more an issue than the quantity of apps in one folder. Therefore, either you keep the 12 apps in a folder and the current UI for viewing them, or you could have an unlimited number of apps in a folder and change the UI to view them ...

16. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Hi, my name is mikelegacy and I'm a certified Apple fanboy. Don't believe me? Check out my signature!

Apple can do no wrong, huh, Mike? Obviously, you're one of the "jailbreaking is bad" people, as those of us that do jailbreak almost immediately remove Apple's 12-app per folder restriction. It's silly and there's absolutely no good reason for it.

Just thought I'd state MY opinion, since you decided to interject yours on the discussion. :rolleyes:

17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

This idea is dumb.

I bet you want folders inside folders inside folders too.