Question about iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gucci, May 17, 2011.

1. Gucci macrumors newbie

Would it be possible for Apple to release the source code of iOS 5?

this would greatly bennefit them.

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

possible. but that will never happen.

3. Gucci thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple is a greedy company like Micro$oft. They just want your money.

Google on the other hands is sharing their code. Propietary software should be illegal, every OS should be available for free for everyone.

Shared code, shared efforts, shared principles. No cost.

vs

Greedy big corporation pocketing all the money, no sharing, no principles high cost.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Ah to be young an naïve again. There is absolutely no evidence to support what you claim. Google spend a fortune on developing Android: they have loads of directly employed developers writing it along with the project management, SQM people etc support structures that go with large scale commercial development. So there is a large cost.

I would also note that Google don't release a huge amount of their software in source form. Most obviously there is no available source code for Android Honeycomb. They have also never released the code for their core assets: their search engine, their built from the ground up custom distributed file system or their custom built from the ground up distributed computing platform.

As for being illegal? Why? If the benefits were as huge and obvious as you state (with no proof) every corporation would go open source without the legal stick requiring it. It's up to the copywrite holder if they want to go open source or not. In the past I have open sourced some of my code. Mostly now I do not. Why should I be forced to?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

No. Really, tell us another one. That was pretty funny.

They exist. There are plenty of them out there. So use one of those. Go download some form of Linux and have fun. What are you complaining about?

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Why should Apple have to share their Source Code, they developed it. They don't have to give it to anyone.

It's not being evil.

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Google isn't sharing their important code. For instance Google hasn't released any source code for their cash cow, the search engine. Also Google apps aren't open sourced either. In fact you have to be under Google's strict control just to have those apps on your device as it was revealed during the ongoing Skyhook lawsuit.

Google is just another greedy corporate, just like Apple and MS, who is in it to make money. The only difference is that they somehow duped some people to think they aren't greedy, and their business model calls on opening up every information that isn't Google's core business so that Google can aggregate all the data in the world and sell ads on them.

The Marco Arment blog article summed it nicely:

http://www.marco.org/2011/04/09/facebooks-open-compute-project

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Gucci, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

9. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

this reply just made my day, I thank you.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Uh, Oh, I'm outa here. Can't afford to get any dumber...

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Source Code? That movie was disappointing.

I wouldn't want to see that on iOS!

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Never seen people take the bait as easily as they do at MR.

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I think my brain just died a little from the stupidity of this thread. Ow.