Question about iOS 6 with the new iTunes

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Technetium37, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Technetium37 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 7, and iTunes was also updated on my computer. I don't like iOS 7, and I may be trading my iPhone 5 with my friend's iPhone 5 (she didn't update to iOS 7).

My question is - would the new iTunes work fine with her iOS 6?

And another question - do we have to do something else besides switching the sims, resetting all settings, and logging to our Apple ID on our "new" phones?

2. Technetium37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Surprised there's not a single reply... I know there are some great minds here. Surely someone knows the answer!

Another question please - what happens if I reset all settings to an iOS 6 iPhone? Will it force iOS 7?

3. LastOneToKnow macrumors member

The latest version of iTunes will work fine with iOS 6 just like it works fine with older phones that will never be able to run iOS 7. Personally I don't care for iTunes 11 or iOS 7. First thing I did after rolling my devices back from iOS 7 to iOS 6 was to roll iTunes back as well from 11 to 10.

Also, if you reset the settings in your phone it does not touch the existing iOS installation. The existing iOS will remain unchanged. It basically wipes the settings and content from the phone placing it back in the out-of-box state as if you had just purchased the phone new and were powering it on for the first time.

Performing a full restore of your iPhone 5 using iTunes on the other hand will result in the iOS being upgraded to iOS 7 as a full restore includes the iOS being installed again, only iOS 7 being signed by Apple at this point with respects to the iPhone 5.

Lastly, if you are swapping phones with your friend I would visit your carrier and have them activate the phone for you providing you with a fresh sim in the process. Am sure others will chime in if I'm off on anything here.

4. Technetium37 thread starter macrumors newbie