Question about IP Addresses over a network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JSmoove05, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Im kinda new to the Mac World networking ip addresses. I have a question will the IP Address on my mac book pro be linked to my ip address on my IMac if they are the same network. I know both the ip addresses are a bit different because they both end in different numbers. I dont want the ip addresses to be linked any help from anyone would be great thanks.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Linked? IP address don't "link", I am not sure what you mean by this.

Your IP addresses will be similar in that the first 3 numbers will be the same because that is what the router assigns. But IP addresses change whenever you connect to a new connection. This is automatic and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

4. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

like for example the first 3 numbers of the ip address on imac and mbp are the same the last 3 digits are different. What Iam saying certain websites like paypal can link your ip address by you signing in on the same computer. So my question is can they link the ip addresses on mbp to my imac. they are different address and thats what I want but they are not much different in first 3 numbers like 192.168.1.XXX. Is there anyway they can say iam the same person by me only logging on to my imac and never on mbp using paypal is what I want to know thanks for the help in advance.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes. You have both an internal and external IP address.

Your external IP address (what Paypal will see) is the same for any computer on your network, and is assigned by your ISP. Each computer on your network also has it's own unique internal IP address (assigned by your router), which is the 129.168.1.x IP address you're seeing.

6. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

So pretty much theres no way paypal can link both computers by the ip address right?

7. mediaguru macrumors regular

There are actually a few different things to consider here:

First, the 192.168.1.xxx addresses are "local" IP addresses that your router assigns to the various computers on your local network. These addresses are not "valid" on the Internet. Your Internet service provider (ISP) also assigns you another "valid" ("routable") IP address that connects your local network to the Internet. Your router "translates" your local IP addresses into that "routable" one from your ISP. Bottom Line: to sites on the Internet, you most likely are identified only by the single IP address from your ISP, regardless of the local IP addresses your computers use.

NOTE: EricNau said this while I was in the middle of writing my long-winded response... :)

Having said that, it is not usually just the IP address that sites use to log you in automatically. Browser cookies, in addition to other unique information such as your IP address, are used for automatic logins. Some sites such as banking ones might keep track of the IP addresses you log in from and challenge you with security questions if you attempt to log in from many different IP addresses, but those sites do not typically use automatic logins anyway.

Does this help?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, they can.

Every computer on your network shares the same external IP address, and this is the IP address Paypal will see. (The external IP address is assigned to your router by your ISP, and is essentially your access to the internet. This external IP address is unique, worldwide.)

9. JSmoove05 thread starter macrumors 6502

So what are my options for them not to link the ip addresses? New ISP or what any help would be great thanks.

10. jeffmc macrumors 6502

a lot of companies "link" via MAC addresses

like the iTunes music store for example, Apple uses MAC address to 'Authorize' computers

this is a lot more reliable and true as your ip address (usually) is constantly changing every so often, where as you MAC address will never change on it's own and is always 100% unique.

palpay most likely will "link" via MAC as well
    i know bank of america does

in this light, changing ISP's would do nothing, no matter where you go, or as long as you are connecting to the internet by the same interface (wireless, modem, ethernet, ect...) they will always know it's you