question about ip5 repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Jan 28, 2014.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

can the genius bar just replace my ip5 home button?

Phone is still under warranty. My comp was stolen with the back up, so If they replace the entire phone, i cant restore it and will lose a lot of stuff.

Anyways the home button is just spotty, works every 3-4 clicks and it feels loose and moves back and forth a lot.

I called and they said I had to bring the phone in before giving any answers and I live far from an Apple store right now. figured id ask here, thx.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suspect they'll just give you a new (refurb) phone instead of repairing the existing phone. That's what they did to my wife's iPhone.

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Hello, Andrew. The Home button is part of the screen assembly, and I believe it can be easily replaced. In the event that the Genius determines to replace the entire phone, have you considered backing up your important information through iCloud? You can turn on iCloud backup in your settings to preserve your photos/addresses/contacts/etc. Your apps can be redownloaded through the AppStore as long as you are signed in with the account of those apps.

4. garevans macrumors newbie

Home Button

it is entirely possible to replace the home button on an iPhone 5. The problem is if you have no backup, and something goes wrong with the repair you're up the creek without a paddle.

Back up to iCloud - if your photos are that important, pay for the extra storage, if not don't back them up.

5. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I would also recommend using DropBox or Box as an alternative means of backing up if you have more than 5.0 GB of data or photos that you need to preserve.

6. blarivee macrumors 6502

Use iCloud as others have suggested or borrow a friend's computer and backup there temporarily. Apple would try to replace the home button / screen (if home button is not easily removable). However if Apple breaks the screen (like glass separating from the lcd) when they are trying to remove it, they will give you a refurb phone.