Question about iPad 1 Refurb from Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sixstorm, Jun 30, 2011.

1. sixstorm macrumors regular

After trying to deal with the Nook Color and getting Android on there (PITA), I returned it and bought an iPad 1 refurb yesterday afternoon. That being said, it's been years since I've bought anything from Apple's online store, especially refurb items, so I have some basic questions I can't seem to find via forum search or Google search.

How long does it usually take to deliver if I've selected the free shipping? I noticed that even if I picked 2 day shipping, it was still mid-next week. Not really 2 day shipping IMO, so I didn't bother to pay the extra $18 for it.

I would *assume* that these refurbed iPads are just sitting on a shelf at one of the warehouses, ready to go.

Just wondering from those who have ordered these before.

And if you can't tell, I'm pretty darn stoked about getting it. I used to think the iPad was really stupid but that changed when my friend got one with an Apple TV. Amazing combo.

2. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Ships: 1-3 business days... So today, Friday or Tuesday
    Apple normally doesn't deliver on weekends
    Monday is July 4 holiday - no delivery
    So, depending on shipping origin, earliest would be Tuesday... Or a few days after depending on ship date...

3. RayK macrumors 6502

I'd say a total of 3 to 5 business days, depending on where it ships from and your location.

4. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Ah crap. I totally forgot about the holiday on Monday, that's probably why things are a little behind. Thanks for the reminder lol.

5. Chargerdan macrumors member

I bought a refurb iPad 1 last month and it took about a week to show up. Seeing that the device came from China I thought it was pretty fast.

6. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

Typing on my refurb iPad as we speak.
    Quality wise this thing is great. Can't tell the difference at all from a brand new one. Not a single blemish or imperfection.
    Took just over a week for mine to arrive if I recall.
    Shipped from China.

7. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found a Youtube video of someone unboxing their refurbished iPad 1 and it was flawless.

I just checked the order status again and it didn't ship out today. :(

Oh well, hopefully it will be there by the end of next week.

8. jonhcox macrumors regular

Typing on my refurb 32 gig now. It looks awesome and arrived in a sealed white box that simply said iPad. Zero blemishes. Love it and bought a couple more for family members. Took my iPad 2 back to Apple for backlight bleeding and got this instead. Zero regrets. Once it leaves the original destination it moves faster than you think. Funny thing about that YouTube vid- I watched it about 5 times until mine arrived and had the same unboxing experience except that my kid didn't pick up Señor Stabby and play with it.

You'll love it!

9. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

LOL yeah, that was quite interesting.

My iPad shipped yesterday actually from Lantau Island, HK. Probably with the holidays, I'd say next Wednesday at the earliest, at least by next Friday. I can deal with that. :D

10. SA22C macrumors regular

Apple's idea of refurbished is a bit different than other manufacturers. When Apple refurbs a product, they only retain the system board and replace the entire enclosure with a new unit. So a refurb is externally just a good as new.

11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Not to mention the 1yr warranty they carry, just as standard....best refurb deal around.

12. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. I tried looking for a used iPad 1 around my area but all wanted $350. Why not order from Apple and get the warranty, new case and battery? Just makes sense.

iPad is in transit "CHEK LAP KOK HK". :p

13. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

iPad is here in Nashville, so I should get it on Tuesday.

14. jonhcox macrumors regular

Sweet! I bought a refurb'd Apple Case to go along side my Portenzo. Can't tell the difference between the refurb case versus new.

15. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

16. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Got the iPad a few hours ago. Came to me flawless, perfect case and screen. After messing around with it for a few minutes, I'm just amazed at this device. You can mess around with them at the stores, but until you get one and put your stuff on there, there's nothing like it.

Thanks Apple for the good price and fast shipping.

17. jonhcox macrumors regular

18. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

This was my experience as well...played with a few, thought it was kinda cool but since owning a new 11" MBA I wondered if an iPad was something I would really use. After receiving one for my birthday and using it for a while I realized just how amazing a product it really is.

19. sixstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I've spend quite a bit of time with the iPad in the last 48 hours, but it's been a blast. I actually loaded up a Kindle book last night and started reading it, very awesome ebook experience.

The battery life on this thing is incredible. I used it easily for 5 hours straight one night and only drained 30% on the battery.

I'm actually having my wife make a case for my iPad, just a custom sleeve. Hope it turns out well because I don't want to spend the extra $20 for a case.

20. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I bought a refurbished Mac before; it looked brand new when it arrived! Apple refurbs are excellent purchase decisions. I would buy another refurb if I needed to!

Enjoy!