Question about iPad 2 craziness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gtgrad95, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

With all the inventory shortages and the craziness of people to get their hands on an iPad2, I'm kind of at a loss. At best, the iPad 2 upgrade is similar to the iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS upgrade. Not very inspiring. Now the iPhone 4 was well worth the camping out and craziness that went with it.

Now, I've been waiting to get an iPad for a while and was waiting for iPad 2 to finally pull the trigger. Seeing that the upgrade is very underwhelming, I'm wondering why everyone is going all out to get their hands on one? Couple that with the fact that iPad 3 is supposed to come out in the fall with an upgraded screen, usb port, etc., it really makes me think twice about pulling the trigger when I can wait 6 months and get what I want (there is no way apple is waiting a whole year when the Xoom already out-specs the iPad 2).

Am I missing something here? Why does everyone have to get their hands on one?

2. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

The notion that the iPad 3 will be coming out in the fall of 2011 is marginal at best, and most likely dubious. I wouldn't base your decision on an iPad 2 using that as a major criteria.

That said, there is an argument to be made that iPad 1 owners need not upgrade to iPad 2. And even another argument that a non-iPad owner should go with the iPad 1 at reduced cost, depending on need.

3. ravenas macrumors regular

You answered your own question there. A lot of folks I've met in line were similar fence sitters. They are jumping on the iPad2 because the product line has "matured enough" for them. iPad spent most of the first quarter release getting criticized. It was only over the summer and into the fall that (non Apple) people got serious about it. Then we had Christmas and rumors of a 1st quarter release of Gen2 that made folks delay purchases until now.

Then you have the early adopters looking to upgrade.

And finally you have the scalpers taking advantage of shortages to make a profit.

I agree it would behoove Apple to compete with a iPad3 release for Christmas, but Apple hasn't been known to do that.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's not supposed to come out, it's wildly speculated it may come out from a whole lot of people who know nothing, and those specs are wishful thinking, not known facts. A fall release would break Apple's standard cycle, and while always possible, is not only highly unlikely, but not the way to base your purchase decision. There will always be an iPad "next" around the corner, no matter how long you wait to buy.

If iPad 2 does what you need, buy it and be happy. If it doesn't, then wait and see if maybe iPad 3 has what you want and need.

5. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Sorry... but you say it's like the 3G to the 3Gs.... this has TWICE the processing power... and up to 9x the graphics? it's legit

6. gtgrad95 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that no one knows if iPad 3 will come out this fall, but from a business and competitive standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to go a whole another year for an update. The Xoom already has a better screen resolution and better specs, it would make sense for Apple to get a comparable product out as soon as possible.

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Steve Jobs said this is the year of iPad 2, so I doubt iPad 3 comes out this calendar year. And when the next iPad comes out a retina display and USB ports built in are no where near guaranteed. The display is more realistic but I doubt a USB port will ever get built in.

I would never base my decision on rumors like this.

Obviously, eventually there will be a better iPad, but do you want to wait until that day?

I got the original iPad at launch, despite no cameras. It wasn't the perfect device but I got 11 months of happy fun times with it and now I got my iPad 2 which is great (sold the original).

In retrospect, I am glad I had the original iPad because its a great device and fun to use, while I would have suffered on a netbook otherwise.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

They will easily go another year. Apple doesn't have spec envy like PC fanboys and companies do. Apple has never across any of it's product felt compelled to always have the highest specced product on the market.

They always have the best experience though, and the iPad 2 is without a doubt the best tablet experience money can buy, specs be damned.

You are making it sound like the xoom is somehow a superior product to the iPad 2 and it just isn't. It barley competes with the original iPad.

Xoom may have more pixels but it's not as good quality as the iPad screen (many reviewers attest to this).

The iPad 2 in it's current form will easily be the tablet of choice for another year.

9. shingles314 macrumors newbie

I guess my question would be: why do you feel the upgrade is "very underwhelming". I think this might be key. For some, double the processing power, much better graphics, thinner and lighter is not underwhelming at all. But for others, the crappy camera and a screen with the same resolution is a deal breaker. I had the iPad 1. Sold it early on in anticipation of iPad 2. Got iPad 2... I suspect more and more app will make use of new processing power. I think that is when the iPad 1 owners will start to really want the iPad 2.

10. crazycanucks macrumors regular

I never saw lineups for the Xoom like they have had for the iPad.

The thing most people keep focusing on is Specs. For the Average user (like my wife) she likes to use it because it just works. Alot of people buying them arent focused on Specs. My wifer uses FB, recipees, Ebay etc. She doesnt care about USB ports, Retina display etc. The reason why she likes it and a whole bunch of people as well it just works. Software with teh hardware

She has basically taken over her iPad to the point I was "forced" to get an iPad2 and she was ok with me buying it as I wouldnt keep taking "her" ipad. :cool:

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

As the OP referenced, people are going nuts to get their hands on an iPad 2. When you've already got people eating out of the palm of your hand, you milk it for all its worth. Just gives Apple more time to perfect iPad 3 and decide what needs to go into it. Not waiting a year makes no sense at this point. Everyone is chasing Apple, not the other way round, after all.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

This whole launch has put a bad taste in my mouth about the iPad.

I had originally planned on getting one for my wife for Christmas. Then I held off because of the rumors of a second version coming out. I figured it would be a nice birthday present for her in April.

But with the supplies staying dry well after the launch and mail times being well over a month, I've pretty much given up on it and will get her something else.

I just don't have the time or patience to jump through the hoops Apple's policies (no preorders, changing their policies to promote easy repeat purchases by scalpers) created in order for a casual consumer to get one.

I'll wait until all the buzz dies down and get one this summer or fall.

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's no need to release two models in a year. I don't think it makes business sense at all. The competitors are mostly still in vaporware stage and the ones that aren't haven't sold well (even if better spec'ed). As I found out firsthand after picking up an Android device, it's hard to leave the Apple world once you buy into it because of how integrated the hardware is with the CONTENT. The Android Market doesn't compare with the App Store not because of quantity (although that's not insignificant) but because of quality. There's so much garbage on the Android Market, some of which is unstable or badly designed. In addition, clearly developers have jumped onto the iOS bandwagon and many big time content providers come out with iOS apps first before they foray into the Android world - this despite the fact that that Android is probably going to lead in marketshare for all mobile devices eventually. And let's not even get into multimedia. iTunes is one-click for all of the songs and videos I'd want. There is no equivalent place for Android users and that's a big turnoff.

14. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 had a redesign in terms of: container, faster chip, better resolution, better cameras.
    iPad 2 had a redesign: slimmer, magnets, single to dual core, cameras, gyro added.

iPhone 4 is awesome! So, is the iPad 2. Both are big improvements. Neither of them were revolutionary, unless you think the retina display is revolutionary.

15. JeffMorse macrumors regular

I suspect the people who started the whole 'Why buy an ipad 2? The 3 is coming out in fall!' are the people pushing Xoom sales. I can't see Apple doing it.

16. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

It's pretty awesome. How are you ever going to enjoy life if you keep waiting for the next big thing?

17. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

The Retina display was revolutionary.

18. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Re: iPad 3 Rumors
    Many of you know this, but is worth stating for those who don't. The iPad 3 Rumore 100% came from one man, and that is John Gruber, a well known Apple-centric blogger (daringfireball.net). Gruber does a podcast called The Talk Show.

Since iPad 2's release Gruber has redacted his prediction for iPad 3, and has since regretted his statement considering how many tech news sites picked it up. Gruber says at most there may be an iPad pro or an iPad HD, but he states those possibilities are remote at best.