Question about iPad performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mbell75, Apr 7, 2010.

1. mbell75 macrumors 6502

I bought the 16GB version and I am thinking about taking it back for the 32 instead. What happens when it gets down to only 1 or 2GBs free? Will it slow down and get glitchy?

2. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

No, this is not a windows machine. It will run fine with little or no extra free space.

To be honest, the 64 gig model is a pretty good deal if you want to take a lot of videos and music with you. I'm considering removing music from my iPad and only taking movies and work documents with me, even though I have plenty of free space on my 64 gig.

3. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Slowing down isn't something that's going to happen, but I don't think 16GB is enough, especially since iPad apps are bigger than iPhone apps, and I can see some very big ones in the horizon...

4. FlashHead macrumors regular

...not to mention more graphic rich, media imbedded books on the horizon. The periodic table app (XE) is almost 2GB in size. Even if it hadn't gotten a ton of incredible press, this is the wave of the future. Current size considerations for the iPhone/iPad are almost certainly not going to applicable to the iPad.

I, for one, want to have room to grow into my iPad. So, 64GB for me.

Caveat: I don't imagine there being any major hardware upgrade (camera included) that would entice me to run out and buy the very next rev in a year (or whenever), that is until they become 4G compliant. That, however, looks like it is still at least a couple of years away.

5. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, good point about the larger apps that will require more graphics power. Thanks for the input.

6. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

The main point of FlashHead's post was actually to inform you that apps will require a lot more space than you expect, and not in terms of graphic requirement.

You should really consider a 32 or 64GB.

7. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, will get the 32 tomorrow. I wont need to have tons of movies, music and photos on there but the extra space will be nice to have, especially for larger apps.