Question about iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by asaeta, Sep 26, 2011.

  1. asaeta macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #1
    Hey all,

    So I was recently given an iPad 1st Gen w/ wifi only as a hand-me-down. What do you guys think about selling it (also how much do you think I could get it for? It's in great condition) and using that to pay for some of the cost of getting an iPad 2. I know the iPad 3 is supposed to come out in the next 6-8 months, so would it make sense to get the iPad 2 and then sell it when the 3 comes out? Or just wait?
     
  2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #2
    There will be no serious depreciation between selling your iPad1 now and your iPad1 in February, which should be around a month or so before the 3 is released. Waiting will give you a better idea of how much you use the iPad, which will determine if you should buy an iPad3 or a used iPad2 after the 3 is released.
     
  3. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    #3
    or... it might happen to you what it happened to me, now I want the MacBook Air :p
    I'm probably getting the next gen MBA and giving away my iPad 2 to my bro.
     
  4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2011
    #4
    This isn't a question with a one-size-fits-all answer. You need to determine where your preferences lie and what will suit you best. As for the "Should I wait?" question -- please refer to any thread on an tech-related site asking that very same question.
     
  5. palpatine macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #5
    I disagree. Depending on how iOS 5 works, iPad 1 value may go down a bit, because a gap will open up between it and the iPad 2. I recently sold my iPad 1 to get an iPad 2. But, I mainly did that because I needed certain features, like mirroring, and more speed for presentations. To be honest, for most of my needs, the iPad 1 was more than enough.
     
  6. Rubo Draco macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    #6
    or with the FaceTime update with iOS 5 it might encourage people to get an iPad with a camera, which as we know, iPad1 doesn't have.
     
  7. cinca macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #7
    I agree with the other forum user that said this isn't a 'one size fits all' type question so it's hard to give an answer. *My personal advice would be to wait. *Unless there is some KILLER feature you need that is only available on the ipad2 then you will loose less money holding onto the ipad 1 for another few months than if you lost a little now, upgraded to an ipad2 and then sold that for a loss so you could get an ipad3..*

    The iPad 2 is snappier and skinner and kinda looks and feels cooler but won't be nearly as cool as the ipad3 which is by all accounts just 5-6 months away. *At the very least you should wait a week and see if there is any iPad news at the apple event coming up next week.
     

Share This Page