Question about iPhone 2g ATT plans and fees.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twodollars, Aug 1, 2008.

1. twodollars macrumors member

So after about all of the iPhone 3g's problems, I decided not to get one (closest place to get an iPhone is at the Apple store in Denver, I'm not risking returning a phone or two in the span of a couple weeks via bus), but yet I still what one of the first gen phones. I just won a new one on ebay and I was planning on activating it on iTunes obviously. Will I still be charged their ridiculous credit fee ($500 for me, they couldn't find any credit info under my number), and is the original iPhone plan still intact?

Also, will I be able to upgrade to a new phone on ATT at any time since I didn't use any subsidy yet?

Thanks.

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) I have no clue what you're talking about when you say "credit fee." Is that something for not having any or bad credit? If so, it wouldn't surprise me. Signing up for a contract is like saying you'll pay them at least $X/month for 2 years. That's why the whole prepaid market is big.

2) You should be charged an $18 activation fee (yes, it sucks, but don't get all shocked about it) and will have to commit to a 2-year contract. You're not getting a subsidy, so you would be eligible to get any equipment discount from them provided you didn't get one in the past 2 years from AT&T. As far as I know, that plan is still available for the first-gen phones. I'm still getting that plan. I don't know if they're grandfathering us or not, but I assume that the first-gen phones can still get it. If not, you're better off with a 3G instead of paying extra money for the slow connection.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

i jus got a first gen iPhone to, and YES the first gen iPhone plan is still there...if you dont have a 3G iPhone, you DO NOT pay 3G iPhone prices...simple as that, but i also have no idea what 'credit' your talkin about.

4. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!

What I'm talking about is a security deposit for people with poor/no credit. After one year it just gets credited to the account again.

I don't know why no one can find my credit. I've checked with every major carrier, and while I never have a record, they all charge considerable less then ATT (Verizon $400, T-mobile and Sprint $150).

Problem is I work in the mountains and every other carrier is so terrible it's embarrassing. Verizon for the past year has been an extreme pain, Sprint which is an official sponsor of my corporation is just sad, T-mobile doesn't even have service in town.

It may be because I'm just 18 but I've had my own apartment, debit card, school payments and Comcast for the past nine months with no trouble at all.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

well sieng as how your still a teenager and you JUST got your OWN credit score, im sure theyll charge you, im not sure how much, but itll be given back in time...

6. twodollars thread starter macrumors member

That is what sucks, I can understand them charging me a deposit on a phone that they had to pay $400 for to get me to buy it for $200, but a phone at retail and a plan paid a month in advance? Stupid. I'll call ATT tomorrow and get it figured out I guess.