Question about iPhone 2G replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeek7, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Around 7 this morning I woke up to find out that our basement had been flooded due to the extreme amount of water from melting snow and rain. Once I woke up my parents and we started getting water out of our basement I remembered that I had left my iPhone on the floor of my room charging. It's obvious that there is water damage to it and I was wondering if anyone knew what Apple's replacement policy is in events like floods.

The iPhone is still under warranty.

Thanks!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, if it wasn't obvious, it is your fault the iPhone was damaged, so Apple won't cover it.

Might just salvage it on eBay and get a new one.

Or of course, if your iPhone is insured.

3. jason72780 macrumors regular

Even insured there my be no recourse. On my insurance policy for my phone it exempts acts of war including accidental detonation of a nuclear device and acts of god. Melting snow would probably be seen as an act of god to an insurance company.

4. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

What happened was our sump-pump failed and that's why our basement flooded. I talked to my parents and we have extra coverage for sub-pump failures and sewage backups.

5. sexyfoolxx macrumors member

It's "sump pump" and it depends on the homeowner's insurance policy. If floods are covered you will: make a claim, pay your deductible, receive a check for damages (or receive a check minus the deductible).

6. MacGeek7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

My next question is this, assuming I get the check and what not, would there be a way to get a 2G iPhone from Apple? The reason I ask is because I don't live near a 3G area and I don't want to pay the extra money per month for a service I don't have.

Also, do AT&T and Apple still require credit checks for the 3G iPhone?

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Apple just recently sold the refurbished 4G iPhone for $149 back on the 18th Dec, unfortunately the stocks did ran out very fast (even I missed it). I don't think you could get a new one as of now from Apple, you might wanna try eBay, Craigslist and just be cautious when buying.

Yes they do require credit checks.

8. coachfreak macrumors member

If it is replacement cost for your insurance then they will give you the $399 for an 8 GB if that is what you had. Make sure you keep the trashed phone and take it to Apple. They will charge you $250 to swap the water damaged phone for a replacement.

I didn't know this when my sister's fell out of her pants and into the toilet, so I bought her a new one. However, I was at the Apple store and didn't know that for $250 they will exchange a damaged one for a refurbished. This was pre-3G so I don't know if the price has gone down, but I am sure they can still work it out!

Let us know.

9. coachfreak macrumors member

Go to Apple. The credit checks are for NEW customers. IF you are trying to replace an iPhone already with a line of service they shouldn't do a credit check.

However, as I said above you can to a damage swap for non-warranty reasons if you pay! THen you won't have to upgrade to the $30 data plan instead of the $20 you had on the 2G phone.