Question about iphone 2G unlimited data... grandfather the 200text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Oct 9, 2011.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I know that there is still the trick to get unlimited data if I use an old iPhone 2g... the unlimited data for $20 also comes with $5.

By any chance, will I be also grandfathered into the $5 text plan?

I currently have the $10 text plan, what happens if I "downgrade" to the iPhone 2G, since that plan would add $5 text plan?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you'll only be able to keep the data plan. I remember, AT&T removed all my texting when I upgraded from my 2G. Had to manually put it back on.

3. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

bummer. i have the $10/plan and after iMessage the $5 plan would be more than enough

4. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

You should be able to keep the texting plan... I work at an indirect AT&T retailer, and I'm able to upgrade people with no problem while allowing them to keep their unlimited data and old texting plans...

You SHOULD be grandfathered in...

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Not sure. While the iPhone 2G probably can get you unlimited data, once you put the card in an iPhone 3G or above, they will move you to the $30 plan, not keep you on $20.

6. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

The risky part is that I currently have the $10/1000 text plan. If I don't get the $5 text plan via this method, I'll end up having neither plan and just with pay as you go or unlimited for $20 (thereby defeating purpose of iMessage and losing the cost savings) :(

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The data plan will be grandfathered with the additional add-on fee for 3G making it a total of $29.99 without tax. The texting plan does not carry over as the 3G unlimited data plan did not include SMS/MMs.

8. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

This... pretty much sums it up...

9. wickawack macrumors newbie

Sorry to piggyback a little . . .

Would it be possible to temporarily upgrade from a 2G to a 3Gs to select the $5 texting plan before upgrading to the 4s? Or is this no longer possible?

10. camfunction macrumors member

If I don't currently have AT&T service, If I activate a 2g iPhone as a new line, will I be able to walk into a store after activating the 2g iPhone and buy a 4S with the full discount? Or should I buy a 4S first, then activate the 2g on that line, get unlimited added to that line, then toss the sim in the 4S.

Any help would be appreciated.

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

it's going to be difficult for you to get unlimited data with AT&T as a new customer....if you had been a customer previously perhaps...but they will know what you are trying to do...as a new customer just get your 4S and be done with the charade my friend...sidebar: maybe you know someone on AT&T already that will add a line for you?

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

I was

I was able to keep the 5$ footlong messaging plan, but I had to call in to do it. And, it would appear that calling in (even though I have been charged already) has put my order into some sort of nebulous non visible order queue that basically has NO information about it and they have no idea when/if it will ship,

but i've been charged.

13. camfunction macrumors member

If someone adds a line, I would still have to do the 2g unlimited trick to get unlimited, because each line has its own data service though...correct?

14. apprunner macrumors regular

I was able to confirm that my $5 text plan stays in place. Just call AT&T and let them know you want the $5 plan carried over. Very easy.

15. wickawack macrumors newbie

The problem is that I have the original 2G iPhone that came with 200 messages included on the unlimited data plan. I've never had $5 / 200 texts on my plan.

16. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right... so in that case does it really carry over if I call at&t?

17. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Putting a 2G iPhone on a number kills your upgrade and disables any corporate discounts also.

18. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

what do you mean by killing upgrade? you mean eligibility date changes despite not buying any phone? and wouldn't the corporate discount return once you use the iphone 4 again?

19. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

It has to due with apples funky contract they had with AT&T for profit sharing. AT&T had to honor the contract which is why you get unlimited data and different texts plans. Activating a iPhone 2g requires a 2 year contract and no discounts can be used with the iPhone 2g plans.

You have to call AT&T and make sure they take off the codes that block discounts, most reps won't know what your talking about and say that all iPhones can't get discounts, so you gotta call back.

This stuff only pertains to the original 2g iPhone, after that apple changed there contract to the normal subsidy style were used to.

20. whynot83706 macrumors 6502

whynot83706

You sure on this one? You cant keep $20 unlimited internet if you move to iPhone 4?

----------

It does if you have a single line, if you have family plan and your iPhone 2G is not the main phone you still receive discount.