Question about iPhone 3G data charges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blakely028, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Hi there, I was wondering with my current iPod touch I can use the internet, for example at home for free.

If I go and buy the new :apple: iPhone 3G on pay as you go (I live in the UK), would I still get free wi-fi at home or would it go through as part of O2's 3G network data charges?

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

...You have your own WiFi access point, right? Then of course you can use it. The iPhone does have WiFi, as it always has.

3. Blakely028 thread starter macrumors regular

Blakely028

Yes, I do have my own Wifi access point, I know I would be able to use it, just that would I get charged for it?

Also, would you need to switch off 3G or something to only use Wifi?

4. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

No, as much as I think the cell companies would love to charge people for using their own access points, they can't. That would be like Apple charging you to connect your MacBook to WiFi in your own home, or the phone company charging you an additional fee for using a cordless phone. How would that be done? It's a direct radio connection from your device to your access point.

And no, you don't have to turn off 3G. If you are connected to a WiFi access point, the iPhone transmits all data over that connection rather than the cellular network.

5. ascender macrumors 68000

No, assuming you have wifi turned on, it'll use that instead of 3G as its faster. And no, they can't charge you for using your own wifi network.