Question about iPhone 3g Sim Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rlkv011, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

I have a locked AT&T iPhone 3g with the standard $30 a month data plan. If I use one of those programs such as ziphone to unlock my phone would I be able to put the sim card from my iphone into a blackberry? I did a bit of searching and most people are doing it the other way around putting a blackberry sim into an iphone. My main reason for doing this is that blackberry has an etrade application that I desperately need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

u can put any sim into the iphone or a blackberry, if ur sticking with at&t sim cards it doesnt matter they r all the same

3. Rlkv011 thread starter macrumors regular

So I could go to the AT&T store buy a blackberry bold at full price, take my iphone sim out put it in the bold and have all the features no problem? When I switch back to the iphone would I still have all the features?

4. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

AT&T may automatically detect the type of equipment you're using on their network. Depending on your plan's TOS, certain features may not be eligible for use on all types of equipment. Similarly depending on the TOS, certain add-on features may be automatically added or removed behind your back.

The baseline functionality (sending and receiving voice calls) will work no matter which phone is using the SIM.

5. armenakadino macrumors member

The baseline functionality (sending and receiving voice calls) will work no matter which phone is using the SIM.[/QUOTE]

Would you be able to use the blackberrys internet with a sim thats on the iphone internet plan

6. Rlkv011 thread starter macrumors regular

Would you be able to use the blackberrys internet with a sim thats on the iphone internet plan[/QUOTE]
    This is what I want to know as well. If anyone can confirm this that would be great.

7. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

u would need to call and put the IMEI on each time u change and have the correct data plan provisioned if u want EVERYthing to work.

example, if u have the iphone data plan on the acct but using the blackberry, internet browsing will work but not email.

blackberry data plan on acct but using the iphone, internet and email will work, but not visual voicemail..

so if u r going to switch back and forth alot, jus leave the blackberry data plan on with regular voicemail, then when u use the iphone u will jus have to call your voicemail instead of using the visual

8. armenakadino macrumors member

I think thats what I am going to do but would I be able to sign a contract get the iphone 3g with promotional price and later just switch over to the blackberry internet

Also I got one more question does anyone know about att policy on resigning contracts I was told by a friend that if your in a contract with att at any time if you would like you can resign your contract and get the promotial prices on the phones

9. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

def not... u have to be eligable to resign, they dont want to eat costs of the phone every month for someone.

if u have recently signed a contract then u will most likely have to pay the higher price of the phone... unless theres another line on the account that is eligable for an upgrade that u could use