Question about iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andy-2013, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Andy-2013 macrumors newbie

I currently have the iphone 4 and would like to upgrade to the iphone 5s. Apple don't have it available to pre-order so I have been looking at prices on ebay and they were going for £700-800, quite a bit more than the standard apple price £549. My question is on release day will I be able to get one on ebay for the close to the standard price or will the price increase even more than £700-800? And if so how much more?
    Thanks

2. abz1981 macrumors 65816

My question to you is why would you want to buy the new iphone 5s on ebay in the first place, when you can order direct from Apple when its available or get it in the Apple store.

3. Andy-2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought there would be a limited supply from Apple itself and other major retailers so wouldn't have expected I would be able to get one anytime soon without using ebay or a similar site. Do you think I could order one on their website and not have to wait a long time to receive it? Thanks

4. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Yup wait till the 20th of September and simply order from the Apple website direct and you will get it as soon as they are able to deliver. Regarding how long you will have to wait, i have no idea. However best waiting like everyone else too, who order direct from Apple.

5. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I preordered the iPhone 5s at my local AT&T store haha :D. Just go to a couple places and ask if you can preorder

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

The 5s is likely to be supply-constrained, which means that there won't be enough devices to satisfy demand right away. That means that if you want one on the first day, you either need to camp out at the Apple store, or be willing to pay a premium (I'd say 50% more seems about right) for the "privilege" of getting one first.

Factor in the possibility of an eBay scam, and it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Waiting in line, or waiting a few weeks seems like a much better idea.

7. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Totally agreed. What about buying one from your cell service provider? They usually have stock on "Day 1" and many let you pre-order.

Almost every iPhone release starts a bit panicky at first, for those that are impatient (or with broke phones, I suppose) and must own the latest thing on "Day 1." And a month later, how silly do they look when any fool can walk in off the street to any store and buy one from any store... For regular price. Stay sane, save money.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Why do you think the sellers on ebay get the iPhone 5s earlier than you? All they do is waiting until someone pays for the phone 800 pounds. Then they turn around and order it from Apple for 550 bucks and make you wait for Apple to ship it and then you wait again for them to ship it to you. So in the end you pay more for a longer wait time.

Just order it from Apple and you get it as fast as possible. Apple has been good with supply recently so you won't have to wait for long. One week or two would be my guess.

9. mayoy macrumors newbie

Why do you think the sellers on ebay get the iPhone 5s earlier than you?:confused:

10. Guacamole macrumors regular

Don't do that please, don't buy one from ebay. You'll be paying more and no peace of mind
    I'm sure you can wait a few weeks more until Apple has more stock.
    I have an iphone 4 too, I want to upgrade too but I'll be waiting much longer than you as I'm waiting for iphone 6:D