Question about iPhone dock and sound.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by definitive, Oct 15, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I just purchased an iPhone dock for iP4, and don't know if the following is normal, or if it's a defect:

Whenever I plug the phone in to the dock, I can't hear unlock or shut down sounds. The audio doesn't play in the Music app. When I try to raise or lower the volume, the incrementing boxes aren't showing. The only time the sound works is when I'm getting an incoming call.

edit: Just checked Line Out, and the sounds work through headphones only.. Guess it's defective then?

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Docking the phone redirects sounds through the dock. You should be able to hear most of the phone's usual output through the line-out.

Make sure your mute switch is off.

If you still don't hear anything, take it to an Apple Store; it's probably defective.

3. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

What about when I'm not using the Line Out? I plugged the dock in to the charging cable, and then plugged the phone in to the dock. I can't hear the slide to unlock sound, I can't hear the sound when I turn the phone off, I can't hear the music playing (volume slider at the bottom disappears completely), and I can't hear audio from applications and games. The only time I hear the sound working is if I plug the headphones in to Line Out, or when someone's calling me.