Question about iPhone email...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Source, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Source macrumors member

Hi guys, :)

Okay, if you're sent an email with a 10+mb attachment, will it download it straight onto your iPhone, or will it give you the choice whether to download it.

I want to get an iPhone for work, but I get sent a lot of large files, so I don't want to be downloading them over hours via edge.

Thanks! :)

2. Source thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys. :)

I'm guessing the lack of response to this email means that I have no choice whether email downloads attachments or not and it will download 20 meg attachments without asking.

Anyone care to chime in?

Cheers :)

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

When I get messages on either .Mac or gmail accounts (both IMAP), any attachment is shown at the bottom with a button to download. If I choose not to push it, I can still read the email just fine. So, I guess the short answer is that you can indeed choose not to.

BTW, so far I've been able to open excel, pdf, and word files on my iPhone.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

As well as audio files like .mp3 and .wav.

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

any idea where teh data is held when they are downloaded.. are they just discarded when the email is discarded?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It depends on your email service. With my IMAP accounts, any email I delete on my iPhone is also deleted from the server. You can choose to keep them on the server if you like, so that you could wait to access it from a computer.

7. Source thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, gauchogolfer. But I presume images in emails will be downloaded automatically? Or have they got a system where images are only automatically downloaded if you're on Wifi?