Question about iPhone.... IMing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theimp, Dec 7, 2007.

1. theimp macrumors member

Hi... I am looking into getting an iPhone and was wondering if there it is possible to be logged onto a chatting client (doesn't really matter which one) and still receive calls or talk on the phone.

I guess I am just wondering what happens when you are on the internet and you get a call, does it tell you or do you just miss the call and not know it happened.

Thanks

2. bshell macrumors newbie

bshell

Don't worry

I'm not quite sure what you mean by chatting, but if it is a website and you are in the browser, or if it is a third party application that uses the Internet, and if you are on Wifi, you will get the call. I'm not sure if this is true if you are on the Edge network since I don't use Edge. But if you are doing anything at all on Wifi, your phone will ring, you can talk on the phone while you are chatting in your chatgroup via wifi.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Usually im not affected by this. There are a bunch of internet IM sites for it though. As far as the call thing, if your using EDGE and accessing date, from what i know you cant recieve calls, although sometimes you can, it just depends if your recieving at the exact moment a call comes through. If you are over wifi it doesnt matter. Hope that helps.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Normally if you're connected via EDGE and actively transmitting or receiving data you can't receive calls and they'll go to voicemail (there is a type of EDGE connection that allows the data to be interrupted but apparently the towers that support this mode aren't very common). Similarly, if you're on a call, you won't be able to access the data network via EDGE. This to me is about the only serious limitation of EDGE (the speed is fine in the UK for my needs).
    I think the important bit is actively transmitting or receiving: If you're not engaged in a conversation and just logged in, then you should be OK most of the time (unless there's a keep-alive packet being sent at the exact time someone calls you), but if you're sending a long message then people could miss you with calls