Question about iPhone on a family plan...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have the original iPhone on a family plan where I use the family minutes, and pay the extra $20 a month for data. If I am to upgrade to the 3G (or whatever comes out this summer) and take advantage of the early upgrade pricing, will the entire family plan be pushed up two more years?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, you only share the FamilTalk rate plan but not the same contract, each line has an individual contract (two year service commitment). This means that only your individual line will get a new contract.

Dave

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

So how will it work if I get the new contract agreement and my family decides to leave at&t after their plan is up? Will I need to pay an enormous monthly fee every month?

4. richardhunt macrumors regular

No, you just pay for the phones under contract. In your case if you have say 4 phones and you get the iphone 2 year extension, and all 3 of your family members decide to leave att&t, you would no longer pay for the 3 $9.99 lines, just your plan plus the iphone data.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Is your line the primary line or an add-a-line ($9.99)?

If you are the primary line, then no problem, you will just be switched to a regular rate plan since the FamilyTalk rate plans require a minimum of two lines.

If you are just a secondary line on the FamilyTalk plan then your current line is $9.99 + $20 for your current iPhone data plan. If you the rest of your family leaves AT&T then you will have to move to a regular rate plan and it would start at $39 + either your current $20 data plan or $30 for the iPhone 3G data plan.

Dave

6. Incindium macrumors member

Both my wife and I's phones are eligible for contract extensions but since they are together on a shared family plan I assumed that both phones would need to be upgraded at the same time.

I'm planning on getting whatever the next version of the iPhone but if what you are saying is true then my wife could go ahead and get a new subsidized phone and extend her line's contract for 2 years now and I'd still be eligible to get subsidized prices on my line with the new iPhone in a couple of months?

So with a family plan is the $30 data plan for 3g iPhone shared among all family members? If my wife got a 3g non iPhone now with a dataplan when I eventually get a iPhone would there be any additional monthly charges?