Question about IPhone RAM....?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Boxheed, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Boxheed macrumors member

What is the RAM and/or memory specifications for the IPhone? I have a 8gb IPhone 3g w/ 2.2 firmware. I'm still in my 30 day trial w/ AT&T so I'm actually thinking about returning it for a 16gb one. However, I am not very technologically advanced.....but as far as I know the "GB" and the actual memory/RAM are 2 totally different things, correct? Does the 16gb have more RAM than the 8gb? or is every IPhone the same when it comes to that? And could someone maybe put the difference into lament terms for a tard like me? Thanks everyone! You have all been quick to respond and very helpful in answering my questions as I contemplate JailBreaking the phone!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK, the original iPhone, the 3G in both 8GB and 16GB variants, and both generations of the iPod touch all have the same amount of DRAM -- 128MB. There are differences in video processing speed (with the second gen iPod touch being somewhat faster than the rest, and I think the original iPhone slowest of the four), but that's about it. There's no difference, AFAIK, between the 8GB and 16GB variants of the iPhone 3G.