Question about iPhone Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boygiant, Sep 14, 2017.

1. boygiant macrumors member

boygiant

I have an iPhone 6s Plus right now and I’m thinking of trying to preorder the iPhone 8 Plus. I am however on my mom’s AT&T account. How does the trade-in work if I order online? Will I have to pay anything at the time of pre-ordering through the upgrade program, and will it be a lot?

Just looking for some quick help. Thanks!

2. boygiant thread starter macrumors member

boygiant

3. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Are you currently on iUP or are you trying to sign up for one? If you are signing up as a new customer, you do not need to trade in. Pretty much at check out you will get charged the sales tax and the first month payment. You need will need a credit card to process the check out.

4. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

You will also need to do a credit check and if I remember correctly from last year it was a hit or miss with the credit checks. People will near perfect credit got denied where people with piss poor credit was getting approve.

5. 0970373 Suspended

6. boygiant thread starter macrumors member

boygiant

I'll be signing up. Thanks for the info!

So I could sell my iPhone 6s Plus to pay off my remaining balance with AT&T and just pay the sales tax and first month for the new one?

7. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Just make sure you come out ahead. I believe that when I helped people trade in their phone the value quoted was higher then the payoff...but that may not always be the case. If it's more expensive to pay off, you might as well turn in the phone.

And yes, then you'll sign up for iPhone upgrade and that would be seperate from att, you'll still use their service, but you'll be dealing with citizen and apple for the phone. The payment won't be taken in right away...about 2-3 days your credit card will be charged the first month payment + tax, subsequently it'll be just the monthly payment, which is a combo of the phone + apple care / 24.

8. boygiant thread starter macrumors member

boygiant

I believe I have ~$130 left to pay off so I should come out ahead if I end up selling it. Ok so if I get approved and pre-order, the payment will go through and then I'll be able to pick up my phone at my Apple Store (if all goes well)?

9. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

Yeah, hopefully. It is the 6s plus, and the demand/price would only drop as 8/x comes out.

If you get approved, you don't get charged until the item ships, which is amazing because if you find the unicorn at your local apple, you can just cancel the order and grab yours on the spot.

10. boygiant thread starter macrumors member

boygiant

Ah I see, so there's no store pickup option on pre-order? That makes sense. I remember the hysteria last year with the 7 Plus.

11. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

You can reserve for pick up in store, but I believe those spots go fast. Most people I know just order to have it shipped to them. It's up to you.

I'm talking about the unicorn of, people who haven't preordered and still managed to pick up an iPhone the day it's released.

12. boygiant thread starter macrumors member

boygiant

Ah, got it. Well... we'll see tonight! Thanks again for the info.