Question About iPhone Warranty & Glass Replacement

Flipside186

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Okay, so my fiancé dropped her phone today... the glass by the black bezel at the edge chipped. I know that would drive me crazy, so I wanted to ask here...

Basically, I've read posts about apple replacing phones for broken glass. I also read that they weren't anymore, but after I read that, someone else said they did. Since Apple is claiming that this is the strongest glass ever on the iPhone, would my fiancé have a viable claim for telling the apple store she received a defective product?

I know that the glass is less prone to scratches and therefore more prone to shattering, but that was not how apple advertised.

I'm asking here instead of sending her to the apple store to see because it's kind of a hike from here and I don't want her to go with no hope of getting a replacement.

The irony of this situation is that her free bumper will arrive tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys!

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Hit or miss. Some people have "said" they were able to get replacements, others had to pay the $199 fee. I personally feel you would have better luck in-person than calling and asking. Check to make sure they have ample stock before heading to your local Apple store if it's far.

SKOTTIEG23

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
My wife dropped her phone this past week and shattered the entire rear glass panel. They replaced it for $99.

Solange82200

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
My situation is a little different, but I had scratches all over the camera lens, and this is with having it in a case since day one. The person who said forget calling is right, they will tell you NOTHING over the phone. Anyway, I took the phone in today on my lunch break and said that I have a receipt showing that I bought my griffin wallet case at the same time as my phone (a month previously), and that there is no reason why it should be scratched like that. I fibbed a little bit also and said it was dropping calls even with high signal, even though my coworker's iphone 4 didnt. The guy gave me one that was in a plain black box, but looks brand new, not a scratch in site. Im very happy. It is worth a try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.