Question about ipod touch 1st generation and software 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 88888888, Jul 7, 2009.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

I have an ipod touch 1st generation. i didn't buy the 2.0 update cause i wanted to wait for the 3.0 update.
    It's 10 bucks now. are there any features that I can't use because i have the older, first generation ipod touch?:confused: can i get games and stuff?

thanks.

2. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

The only thing you can't use is Bluetooth/Nike+, the rest is the same as the 2G.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Something for you to consider: since I've upgraded I've found the battery life to be absolutely terrible.

4. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Battery life has taken a hit... but it's not terrible. Noticeable, but it shouldn't ruin your day.

Other then that...it is a big improvement. :)

6. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I sent u a private message... did u check it?

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I agree. The improvements - note syncing (yeah, finally!), landscape keyboard, Spotlight, cut & paste - far outweigh the poorer battery life.

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

With a 1G touch you also don't get the Voice Memos app (not a big deal IMO).

9. dynamo22 macrumors member

the 3.0 upgrade for 1st gen ipod touch users like myself wasn't really worth it. Weak wi-fi signal strengths, bad battery life as people here already mentioned. I mean, $9.95 isn't going to break the bank for me, and I like to be up to speed on current software. I'm definitely upgrading to the 3rd gen ipod touch as soon as it is available.

But yeah to each his own, I suppose.

10. richardhunt macrumors regular

It should also be worth pointing out that the new OS has new programming interfaces (API's) that will eventually be needed as developers begin to make use of them. So, if you don't upgrade, there will eventually be apps that will require OS 3.0 to run. Though I'm with a previous poster, if you have gen 1 ipod touch, the gen 3 will probably be worth the upgrade.

11. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I agree. These benefits, plus the ability to change the song with a shake, far out weigh the lower battery life. Plus I feel you always want to keep your iPod (or computer) with the latest OS.

12. three macrumors 6502a

three

I have a first generation iPod touch, and I have 3.0 on it. I enjoy the new spotlight features, and more.