Question about iPod Touch software upgrade

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by autumn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. autumn macrumors member

I got on iPod Touch without the Jan. software upgrade and wondering whether I should pay to upgrade or not. I want the new softwares but since June is so close around the corner and when the new software release, iPod Touch user has to pay again for that.

Should I just wait til June to pay once? Or you think apple will charge more for those didn't upgrade to the jan. software already?

thanks for the input.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Wirelessly posted (Erendiox: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I'd venture a guess that they probably won't let you pay once in June. You'll probably have to pay for the jan upgrade first. June is also pretty far away and the jan upgrade is priceless IMO. :)

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

You'll find that people on these boards are split between:

The 'Jailbreak it!' squad

and

The rest of us, Who believe that it is a perfectly good idea to charge for major software upgrades. My device does a hell of a lot more than ever advertised when I first bought it.
    Plus I don't have to pay £35 a month in order to use it.

So to your question:
    I concur with the previous poster, it's likely to be available for a single price for both updates.
    However I think that the price is as fair for two months of use as it was for 5 months when it was released.
    In conclusion. It's up to you really but I'd wait...

~Dray

4. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I'm thinking that if you already have the Jan update, you will be able pay a minimum, like half the price maybe or a fraction? It would be a good idea anyway

5. Bambeezer macrumors regular

My thinking is that you won't have to purchase the June update for a touch. Why would they charge me to download firmware that will enable me to purchase apps from the store? Seems like a freebie to me. But I do expect to see the january update apps available individually. We paid $20 for 5 of them. Why not list them for $5.99 each?

Did Apple actually charge us $20 for the new firmware or $20 for the 5 applications?

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^ Steve has already said the Touch update will not be free for "accounting purposes"

7. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

8. pazreal macrumors regular

Buy the upgrade and enjoy it for the time and see where it goes from there.

9. autumn thread starter macrumors member

How big is the upgrade?

I've sorta maxed out my touch already...:D

10. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Get the upgrade now...it's well worth the money!

I don't think the upgrade is very large to be honest...you won't notice it!

Go....get it now!

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you have firmware 1.1.3 or above, the apps will already be on your Touch. The "upgrade" downloads a very small file that 'unlocks' the apps so that you can use them. So if you already have 1.1.3 or 1.1.4, it won't make a difference storage-wise.

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Certainly it is very likely that they'd charge for opening up any of the new features.

But personally, I get the feeling they'd pull a similar tactic as what they did with the 1.1.3 update: Push out a common platform to everybody as a baseline, and lock out any new features until you pay a fee.

That way it's easier to address security flaws and other general bugfixes by releasing minor revisions that can apply equally to every device in the wild.

In the June upgrade, the "new features" so far announced will include the iTunes App Store, and Microsoft Exchange integration. Ideally, they'd apply separate pricing for both of those new features, so that people who want one but can't justify paying for the other, can customize their experience.

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

the file you download is in the kilobyte range, it just unlocks the apps already on the firmware

Op: just buy it, you won't regret it