Question about iPod Touch WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Eric1285, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas!

Got a quick question since I'm considering the purchase of an iPod Touch. I'm wondering if the WiFi on it is similar to the WiFi on the iPhone. I've heard that on the iPhone the WiFi will automatically connect to any open networks in the area. Does the iPod Touch do this too? Reason I ask is because I was planning on using it as PIM and would like for it to automatically connect to any open networks I was near so that it would sync itself (ical, mail, whatever) at every opportunity without me having to take it out, connect to wifi, and tell it to sync.

Does it do this? Thanks for any replies!

2. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Hi :)

It does do this, and also has an option to turn it off.

3. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Just FYI, neither the iPod touch nor the iPhone sync over Wi-Fi, only over USB.

4. Eric1285 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, really? It won't sync iCal over WiFi? Hmm...that could be a problem then. I've been trying to figure out for a while how to get all my stuff to sync properly. I use iCal and Address Book on my MBP, and the google equivalents to store those things online. I'd also like to have access to these things on the go, so I was trying to get it to sync with my Motorola Q, but that seems like it'll be difficult to do. That's why I'm thinking about buying an iPod Touch.

Are there any 3rd party apps that'll do that sort of thing? Perhaps if I use Google Calendar as my "main" database and have everything synced through there (2-way)...is there a way to sync the Calendar on the Touch with Google?

I'm finding out that Apple stuff just isn't very good for people who want everything synced together. On the Windows side, It'd be a piece of cake to get all my stuff working. Here, I'm struggling to find a solution.

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

As mentioned, the iPod doesn't sync iCal or Contacts over WiFi, only when it's connected to a computer via USB.

However it does connect to any open network. If you jailbreak your iPod Touch and install iPhone's Mail client, Mail will check your e-mail over WiFi (using IMAP or POP, the standard stuff). I've had this happen a lot where I'll be walking down the street listening to music, the music fades down and I head the "ding" of the "new mail" sound, and the music fades back up and keeps playing. It's pretty freakin' sweet. ;)

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

You and I replied at the same time, so here's some additional stuff: ;)

If your iPod is connected to an open WiFi source, you'll be able to access Google directly, so you'll have all your things right there. In fact, Google has added support for iPhone/iPod Touch to its main apps, including the ones you use, so everything is formatted specifically for your iPod Touch. It'll feel like you're using an application written for it.

(Screenshot, article)

7. Eric1285 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, that's good to know. The only thing I'm worried about then is having access to all that stuff when there is no WiFi. I know when there's WiFi I can just hop on and check everything out from Google online. What about when it's off? Do Google's apps know to save all that info and update it when a connection is established? This is important for me, because I don't live in a big city where there's WiFi everywhere. I may be out of WiFi range for a few hours a day, so it'd be nice to be able to access my calendar and stuff even if I'm not connected.

As for email, I have PUSH e-mail setup on my Motorola Q. I don't know how I ever lived without it. It's one of the things I will really miss when I eventually upgrade to the iPhone. I know you can have it check every few minutes, but it's not the same as getting it the very instant the message hits your inbox. I've found that there are a few cases where my email is extremely time sensitive, and even a matter of a couple of minutes can make a huge difference.

Thanks for being so helpful! Your knowledge is appreciated.

8. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm pretty sure Google wouldn't sync events directly back to your iPod in that way. It would, of course, be saved on the server though, so you could access later at your computer and sync it back to your iPod through iCal. I don't know what your current workflow is for that, but I guess it could get a bit complicated.

For the times when you're away from WiFi, your only alternative would be to get an actual iPhone, which connects via Edge network when no WiFi is available.

For IMAP PUSH, iPhone / iPod Touch actually is capable of it, at least in some cases. I know it supports Push for Yahoo and I believe Google as well (when configured for IMAP, not using the "preset"). I use IMAP with my iPod Touch with my college e-mail, but it doesn't do Push with that, so I don't know if it's a server configuration issue or what. I don't know enough about that issue so I won't BS about it. ;)

9. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I don't think the Ipod will connect to any open network automatically. It only seems to connect to a "known" network. You can manually join a network and then it will be "remembered" and will automatically connect to it next time.

If you don't want it to automatically connect to a network you need to go into the settings and "forget this network".

Hope this helps.

10. Eric1285 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, that video you linked doesn't seem to actually setup Push...just regular old IMAP. I know there are ways to emulate Push on the iPhone (or with Gmail in general) but they're not quite the same, and they usually cause a small delay.

Anyways, thanks again for all your help. It looks like I'm going to have to rely on my Motorola Q to handle all my PIM stuff. Even then, I'm going to need a mess of programs to get everything syncing the way I want. I still might pick up an iPod Touch just to play with, although it's a bit tough to justify since I'll probably get an iPhone within a year (picking one up before I go to start my consulting firm in Shanghai...those Chinese look up to anyone with Apple stuff...good for my firm's image).

11. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Hehe, I'd hold off and just get the iPhone. I wasn't interested in the iPhone, but now that I have the Touch, I regret not just getting the "full" thing.

Good luck with everything, sounds like things are going good for you!