Question about IR on new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magpie-23, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Magpie-23 macrumors member

As the owner of a month old rMBP, I have been following the threads on image retention (and other screen problems) that have been cropping up on this board in recent weeks.

I have an LG panel.
    Until I started reading about IR issues on LG screens, I had not noticed any perceivable IR at all. Quite simple I had not been looking for it, and if it was occurring, then it certainly was not occurring in such a way that my every day usage caused me to notice it (I mean how many people actually leave a static image on their screen on high brightness for a prolonged period?)

Guess what? Since reading the thread which suggested the checkerboard test, I thought I would give it a go. To my surprise, after leaving the image on the screen for 15 mins, it definitely retained for 5 mins afterwords, albeit very faintly. Since then I have noticed it if I leave a bright white safari background open on a browser, such as this forum, and then switch to a darker background. So my points and questions are as follows, and I'd be grateful for some feedback on whether or not this should actually be an issue.

1) Unless I looked for the problem I don't think to this day I would know about it

2) It is so faint, and vanishes after a few minutes, is this actually a defect as it doesn't impact my use of such a great laptop?

3) On the other hand this was a very expensive purchase so should I be turning up at the Apple Store asking to see a Genius about it.

4) If I live with it and ignore the problem I will probably forgot about it eventually, but will my panel suffer in the long term? Will it get worse?

I'm mostly frustrated that it's become a nagging doubt since I looked for the problem, but then... have my eyes been opened to bad quality I should not expect from such an expensive product.

On the other hand, if other people are getting better quality panels than me, should I be demanding the best too. I seriously cannot be bothered with multiple exhanges - if this is going to be an issue going forward in regards to the quality of the panel getting worse and worse, will Apple give me a credit note so I can buy a cMBP instead and I'll sit out first gen retina?

Pretty confused what to do to be honest.
    Give myself a slap about getting bothered about it or expect better from Apple and go to the store to get some options from a Genius?

2. switon, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

... and that is where you were converted. :)

Seriously, if you were happy with it before what is the difference? Why are you looking for issues?

4. Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

In case I just spent three grand on something that will look like a dogs dinner after a year of use because of burn in

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If that's always going to be in the back of your mind then try to get a replacement.

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Me too! :D

OP: Take it back. Yes, you don't know what it will look like a year from now. Were this a $350 Dell things would be different.