Question About iTunes Account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChadwickNA, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ChadwickNA macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new here. I just have a question about moving iTunes music to a new computer.

Okay, I'm planning on getting a new iMac in September (It will be my first Mac) and I want to bring over some, but not all, of my iTunes library on my old PC to the Mac. I want to know if, after I move all the music I want to to my new computer, can I continue using the same iTunes account I did on my PC (It's my whole families account), but also get any songs anyone buys on the old computer to the Mac by just logging in? Also, is it possible to send all of the music I buy on the Mac to the PC by using the same account? The reason I want to share music is because my brother and I like a lot of the same music and I don't want to have to keep burning the songs he buys on a disc so I can put them on my Mac. So my question is, can I use the same account I use on my PC on my Mac? And will any songs that are bought on the PC using the same account as the Mac automatically be on the Mac? I'm sorry if I'm not very clear, I just can't think of any way to explain this better. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

iTunes isn't server-side. What you do on that computer stays on that computer.

3. ChadwickNA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. :)

So what should I do if me and my brother want to share the music we buy on separate computers?

4. johan.k macrumors regular

You can transfer and share up to five computers. It does apply for purchased song from iTunes store.

5. ChadwickNA thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, can you tell me or give me a link to how to do that? Thanks.

6. ChadwickNA thread starter macrumors newbie

(Sorry about double post)

Also, if you shared your purchased music with another computer, would the files be on each computer so you could sync the songs on both iPods?

7. studentmac macrumors regular

Basically, any songs you purchase can be shared between 5 computers. So, if you decided to give someone a few of those songs on a memory stick for instance, you would have to authorize their computer by entering your password in iTunes, and that would then mean you have 2 authorized computers (yours and the newly added computer). That person can then sync those songs to their iPod like they would with their own music.

8. BayouBengal macrumors regular

If the songs are DRM free (iTunes Plus or ripped from CDs, or through "other means") then you technically can share the songs without being apart of the same iTunes Account. Being on the same account would matter for protected content. But something bought on one computer isn't going to automatically showup on the other. Apple only allows one download per purchase but once it's downloaded you could transfer the files to other machines.

9. ChadwickNA thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I understand now. Thanks for helping me out. :)