Question about itunes authorization and upgrading computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dacreativeguy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I'm currently using itunes on a mac that is authorized. I've got a new mac on the way that will replace my current mac. I intend to set it up by restoring from my Time Machine backup. My question is "How do I deal with the itunes auth/de-auth? I'm assuming that the new computer will be seen as a new machine even though I'm restoring data from an old machine. So after setting up the new machine, should I make sure it is authorized and then de-authorize the old machine before wiping the HD?

2. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

That's exactly right. If I'm not mistaken, the system is authorized in iTunes using the computer's MAC address. You must deauthorize the old computer manually. Wiping the system will not deauthorize, as the MAC address for that computer will still be registered with iTunes.

3. dacreativeguy thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok. If it is MAC address, then cloning or restoring doesn't affect the authorizations at all. That is what I was wondering... is auth done in software (that can be cloned) or by hardware ID.

4. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

I think it's done on the iTunes servers, not on the hard disk in the computer. I've had all the computers on my account deauthorized remotely before by an apple rep (per my request).

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes, that is correct. That's what allows you to deauthorize a computer that is lost/stolen/dead.

Either deauthorize the old computer, or leave it authorized for now if you're not near the 5 machine limit. You can always deauthorize all at some future point and start over with machines you own.