Question about iTunes backup

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Abba 701, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Abba 701 macrumors regular

So I downloaded an update today for a certain app.The problem is I don't like some things about the new version of the app..I have an iTunes backup from before the update came out.But not iCloud.Is there a way to get the old version back?

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The (mobile) apps are stored in : iTunes / iTunes Media / Mobile Applications.

Therefore I guess you can copy the old version from there in your backup and paste it in the same place in your current iTunes folder, in order to replace the new version with the old one.

(awful English, sorry).

3. impaler macrumors 6502

I'd only caution you that the old version of the app may or may not actually be there. iTunes typically deletes the old app when a new one is downloaded. This will occur if your computer is connected to your iTunes account and you enable simultaneous downloading when purchased from an iOS device. If it is replaced, it normally puts the old one in the trash. If it's not there, and you have Time Machine, go back a few days and grab the old one, and replace the new one with it.

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You are right, but the OP said : "I have an iTunes backup from before the update came out".

This is where I suggested to get the old version from.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

That won't work.. it will just install whatever version of the app is in your iTunes library. As soon as you update the app, the old version goes in the Trash/Recycle Bin. However, if you have an iCloud backup of the older version, that will work.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

That does work : replace manually the new version with the old one in iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications.

OP said he has "an iTunes backup from before the update came out".

Therefore he can pick the "old" app up from this backup and put it in the right place in his iTunes Library.