Question about iTunes Match

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by golf1410, Jul 10, 2012.

1. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I have short questions about iTune Match.

1. Do we really own the music files? It is really on computer and iDevices? Or it is steaming music service.
    2. Can those music files be synced freely between devices? Etc. Androids
    3. Is it actually a music file there like we bought songs from iTunes music store?
    4. What happen if I cancel the subscription? Do I still own it? Or music files are gone?

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

1. Depends on how you have it setup. I have my computer at home with all of my music on it. I sync that with my iPhone. My PC at work though streams everything from the cloud.
    2. Not directly from the cloud. You'd have to have the actual files on a computer somewhere.
    3. Yes
    4. You own the ones you've bought and have local copies stored.

3. golf1410, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Anyone know? How to setup for the first one answer that this guy is talking about?
    Do you know where actually upgraded and downloaded songs from iTune match are stored?

4. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

iTunes Match doesn't stream. It downloads the entire audio track before it starts playing. Once downloaded, it stays on that device. So, the next time you can start playing the song without having to download.

----------

The "upgraded" songs are in the cloud. To replace the one in your device or your computer, delete the old audio track then download/play again. The matched audio will be the same high quality available in the iTunes store.

6. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Do you what the exactly location of the iTune Match songs on hard drive?

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Right-click on the song and select "Get Info" then go to the "Summary" tab. Towards the bottom should say the location of the file in your drive. It's usually in your /Users/Music/iTunes folder.

8. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Guys, are these songs encrypted DRM? I wonder I have android phone. You said I can locate iTunes Match music files on HDD. So I just drag those files to my android phone?

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Match streams to PCs/Macs through iTunes. You only have to dl on iOS devices.

10. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I'm confused. Itunes Match does stream to iOS devices, not just other PC's. Case and Point, I have well over the 16GB capicity of my iPhone on the cloud right now, and it's all there. Now IF I want to download the album onto my actual device, well that's a completely different story all together.

I believe you can stream your iCloud library to up to 10 different iOS devices, provided you're logged into your itunes account.

Personally I love it so far, I have a greater selection of my library available to me at work, where I listen to music for most of the day.

11. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I believe if you delete the song and click at the cloud icon, you download it to your PC and Mac. Not streaming. Am I right?

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Right. If you click the cloud icon that does download the file. If you just double click the song though it streams.

13. golf1410, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Here is the thing. I have android. Those downloaded iTunes match songs can be moved freely to my android? Just wanna make sure, before subscribe.

14. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

http://www.apple.com/itunes/itunes-match/

1. Do you guys read come on now? its on the FRONT PAGE!
    all the songs you download from iCloud are DRM FREE!!!! you can have up to 10 Devices computers, iPod, ipad, iPhone all will have DRM Free music. NO Streaming.

2. YES

3. YES

4. You still own it. But wont have access to the cloud that is all. No iCloud sync or streaming.

15. zhris macrumors newbie

Couple addendums that may help;

2. They *are* DRM-free, but they are also (by default) in .aac format, and IDv3 tagged with your iTunes account info. In other words, I'd feel free to share them among devices I own, but sharing them in the 'aaargh' sense would be a bad idea.
    4. Cancelling the subscription merely shuts you off from the cloud. In other words, if you have your entire library already downloaded, you lose nothing. What I'm not sure about is what happens to the music afterwards; in other words, if you cancel Match, but then re-enroll, do you get your old library back, or is it considered a new account?

16. Nozuka macrumors 65816

Even if you stream the song, it will be downloaded after listening to it.