Question about iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caralvarez24, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Caralvarez24 macrumors regular

If I have movies on my iTunes library and synced with my iPod, that are actually stored on an external USB HD, will it take up any space on my actual computer's HD? The reason I ask is I have been ripping movies with RipItApp, which automatically saves its file in my Movie file. After it is done I have been copying it over to the HD and then ripping that file using Handbrake (RipItApp creates a big file, handbrake trims it down). I have been noticing my HD space on my computer going down and I have not really been doing anything else lately. I have lost about 7 GBs in about a week. Wondering if iTunes is doing this or if RipIt is leaving files laying around.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

In your iTunes preferences, do you have it set to copy the files to iTunes when you put them in your library? If so, I would think that the movies are on your internal hard drive.

I guess if you have your external hard drive set up as your iTunes library, then the above wouldn't matter.

3. Caralvarez24 thread starter macrumors regular

the internal HD is my itunes library I just added them to the library. I checked that option you mentioned. Will unclicking have any negative effects? I have all my music saved in the iTunes music folder anyway.

4. Caralvarez24 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I just found that you were exactly right. The movie files had been copied into the iTunes music folder in a sub folder called Movies. If I uncheck this option it should just add the file directly from the external correct? Only negative I can think of is if I do not have the external connected I can't watch the movies...anything I am missing?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You're correct. If you're external drive is not connected, you will get an error when you try to play a movie.

This is how I used to have the music in my iTunes library, but I changed it when I got an iMac. I didn't have enough space on my Macbook Pro to store all the music.