Question about Jailbreak Themes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SDAVE, Sep 25, 2010.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

So I understand the want/need to jailbreak (I do so myself) but why do people apply ugly themes that are so anti-aesthetic that it would turn designers who are dead in their graves just to wake up again, vomit and lie back down in their coffin.

Thousands of man hours have been spent to design the UI. Specific interface designers worked on the iOS interface, but 90% of the themes in Cydia are fugly.

The ONLY one I like is Glaskart HD (and the older one that wasn't for the Retina display.)

Yes, some people will say why's it my concern? It is.

Excuse me for my morning rant.

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Ever hear the expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"?

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

beauty is on the eye of the beholder, what may be ugly to you, could be the best thing for someone else

4. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I just prefer it to be a little different. I dont like my phone looking like everyone elses phone.. (I like simple!)
    [​IMG]

5. THE dAY macrumors 6502

I hear what you're saying. I turn off all theme related stuff in Cydia to avoid seeing them. Cydia actually loads a lot faster as a result.

My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and I individually pick icons/images from many sources.
    I can go through an entire theme and only find one image that I would want to use.

I also then fine tune those images to my taste in Photoshop.

There are also many images/UI elements that I feel cannot be beat by Apples design so I leave them alone.

But you have to understand that there are so many different people on this earth and they all have different tastes

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i've been following the "show your homescreen" thread since the start, and, yeah, some of these are unbelievably ugly. but that's the point, that it IS all in the 'eye of the beholder', and that everyone should have the right to make their iphone their own...that's what i love about jailbreaking (well that, and some very cool apps).

uglify away! :D

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not when it's a man made object :cool:
    Especially such a UI as iOS, which is based on historical references.

Oh well. I still frown upon people who make it fugly. Functionality is another story. Jailbreak all you want, it's your right :D

8. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man". -The Dude

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE