Question about jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Brandonjr36, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

just heard there's gonna be a jailbreak for iOS 10.3.1 my question is there a dark mode feature on Cydia like they had one the iOS 9? I think it was called eclipse or something like that.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. That would be Eclipse 4. You may have to wait a bit for the dev to see if it's compatible with the firmware though. But I understand it's working on iOS 10.x.

I have Eclipse 3, BTW, but I'm jailbroken on 9.0.2 so I can't use Eclipse 4.

3. Gathomblipoob, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

At a conference, Pangu merely demonstrated a jailbreak for 10.3.1 on the 7. Nothing official has been said about its release.

4. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Said it could be out within a week.

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Pangu didn't say that. Someone else who was there did. I hope he's right, but after all the rumors and hoaxes we've experienced, I have a healthy skepticism.

6. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but if it does come out. Is it hard to jailbreak an iPhone? I never have done one.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Pretty easy. They're all done with apps and links now. Not like the original 74-step jailbreak. That was fun.

8. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How long does it usually take to do it now?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If everything is copacetic, 5-15 minutes, depending on the speed of your computer.

If it's a semi-untethered jailbreak it means rejailbreaking every time you reboot the device. There will be an app installed on the device to do that.

10. that be me macrumors 6502

The last few took a couple of minutes, sometimes a couple of tries. Typically one or two button presses, so it’s not like rooting an older android device.

11. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So will they release 2 different jailbreaks? One that doesn't need to be redone every time you reboot the iPhone? Sorry for the ignorance I just never done one before.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The form of a jailbreak is determined by the type of exploits they find. If those exploits lead to a fully untethered jailbreak then that is what they will release. If they lead to a semi-untethered jailbreak then it will be that.

A fully untethered jailbreak is what you want because the device remains jailbroken across reboots without any action on your part.

A jailbreak that leverages a bootrom exploit (the bootrom is the stuff that loads before iOS) is the holy grail because that can't be patched.

There hasn't been a bootroom level exploit since the iPhone 4.

13. ipos macrumors 6502a

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I really hope that's not the case. There is some speculation that the 10.3.1 jailbreak may be untethered.

If it isn't, then I again see no need to leave my current fully untethered jailbreak on 9.0.2.