Question about jailbreak

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
just heard there's gonna be a jailbreak for iOS 10.3.1 my question is there a dark mode feature on Cydia like they had one the iOS 9? I think it was called eclipse or something like that.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
just heard there's gonna be a jailbreak for iOS 10.3.1 my question is there a dark mode feature on Cydia like they had one the iOS 9? I think it was called eclipse or something like that.
Yeah. That would be Eclipse 4. You may have to wait a bit for the dev to see if it's compatible with the firmware though. But I understand it's working on iOS 10.x.

I have Eclipse 3, BTW, but I'm jailbroken on 9.0.2 so I can't use Eclipse 4.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Pangu didn't say that. Someone else who was there did. I hope he's right, but after all the rumors and hoaxes we've experienced, I have a healthy skepticism.
Yeah but if it does come out. Is it hard to jailbreak an iPhone? I never have done one.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
The last few took a couple of minutes, sometimes a couple of tries. Typically one or two button presses, so it’s not like rooting an older android device.

Reactions: Brandonjr36

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
So will they release 2 different jailbreaks? One that doesn't need to be redone every time you reboot the iPhone? Sorry for the ignorance I just never done one before.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
So will they release 2 different jailbreaks? One that doesn't need to be redone every time you reboot the iPhone? Sorry for the ignorance I just never done one before.
The form of a jailbreak is determined by the type of exploits they find. If those exploits lead to a fully untethered jailbreak then that is what they will release. If they lead to a semi-untethered jailbreak then it will be that.

A fully untethered jailbreak is what you want because the device remains jailbroken across reboots without any action on your part.

A jailbreak that leverages a bootrom exploit (the bootrom is the stuff that loads before iOS) is the holy grail because that can't be patched.

There hasn't been a bootroom level exploit since the iPhone 4.