Question about Jailbreaking + iPhone Backup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yode, Aug 26, 2008.

1. yode macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    So I had a question before I was gonna jailbreak, after you jailbreak, will the phone be like it was restored? Or will all your settings, texts, recent calls, call time still be there? And if it is wiped, will you be able to restore with a backup and still have it jailbroken? thanks

2. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

3. ImAlwaysRight macrumors 6502a

ImAlwaysRight

Always in the right place at the right time
    Anyone have an answer to this? I'd like to know too...

I have the Apple 2.0.1 software and want to update to 2.0.2 using Pwnage 2.0.3.1 but don't want to loose anything on my phone I already have.

4. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

i was told that you would be able to restore a backup and keep the jailbreak. I haven't tried it yet, I think I may wait for quickpwn for 2.02 for mac if it comes out

5. goombah88 macrumors member

The process you'll want to use is this:

(DISCLAIMER: I USED WINPWN, BUT THE PROCESS IS STILL THE SAME)

***DO A BACKUP IN ITUNES BEFORE BEGINNING***

1. use pwnage or winpwn to build your IPSW
    2. in the options MAKE SURE YOU CLICK - "No Wipe"
    this way it won't wipe your data when you restore in itunes
    3. go through the restore process like usual in itunes
    4. when it's done restoring it'll prompt you to restore from a backup, let it.
    it should default to the one you just did before starting this process.
    5. when it's done restoring the backup you may have to sync it a couple times to make sure everything gets sync'd over.

DONE = TOTAL PWNAGE OF THE iPHONE!

6. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

If you are using PWNAGE then yes you can back up from a back up of your phone. Your jailbreak will still be intact but you will not have your SMS and recent phone calls. Just like restoring from a normal back up.

7. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

yep, you can restore to a backup once you jailbreak. Just like restoring from normal...the only thing different is instead of using a .ispw that Apple has given you, you choose a custom .ispw you made in pwnage by "option-clicking" the restore button.

8. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

might be a dumb question, but how do you make your own?

By doing this I will be able to save all the applications and things I have saved on my jailbroken iphone? thanks.

9. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

Hey Speedy!

Actually, this is incorrectly mixing up two different parts of the restore process. You restore the FIRMWARE (.ispw), but this does NOT restore your data. The official word from the Dev Team is to NOT restore the data from a backup, but to always set it up as a new user. Problem with this approach is that you do lose all your personal settings, game scores, etc.

I just upgraded using the PWNAGE tool released a few days ago, and had all the keychain/password issues. It took me HOURS of screwing around to get my phone back to where it was before I started because the "restore from a backup" part of the process ALWAYS fails for me... every time.

I even used the AppBackup tool in Cydia, thinking somehow that my app data would be available to me on the other side, but alas... that app was gone upon restore, and so was all the data it backed up. (Didn't think to move it to my computer...DUH!)

Just wanted to weigh in on this. Need to investigate this NO WIPE feature mentioned above. I haven't seen that in PWNAGE.

10. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Please guys, use the search function. In the past half hour this is the third post of the same thing I have seen. To answer it short. Search google for ibones.