Question about jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FortMOney, Aug 2, 2010.

1. FortMOney macrumors member

I have never jailbroken before and am considering it now that it's legal and out for the iPhone 4. When I jailbreak it, will everything be exactly the same as before? (apps, contacts, SMS, etc). Because there are some cool things out there but I don't want to lose everything and start over. Also, if I am unhappy I can restore it on iTunes right? And will I have ios 4 or ios 4.0.1?

2. FortMOney thread starter macrumors member

Come on guys it's a simple question... I tried googling faq's about jailbreaking but couldn't find anything

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Everything on your phone will remain the same. Apps, widgets, etc.

If you don't like the Jailbreak or feel like it has caused issues, you may restore to factory settings. Unless you saved your SHSH blobs using Tiny Umbrella, you will be required to restore to 4.01.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

You won't lose your messages or anything else, though if you're lucky like me :rolleyes:, all of the pics in your camera roll will get jumbled up. They're all still there, just not in any reasonable order.

Yes, you can restore if you decide you don't like it. The only immediate difference you'll see once you've jailbroken is the presence of Cydia on one of your screens. Nothing else changes until you change it.

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Keep in mind that firmware updates to your iDevice will null the jailbreak as well.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, your phone will operate exactly as it does now, still connect to App Store, still sync, apps, music, photos, contacts, etc.

In addition you will have Cydia and be able to install Cydia apps to supplement App store apps.

You can buy My3G ($3.99 in Cydia) and your FaceTime will work over 3G data as well as Wifi. Good picture on both my iPhone 4 iDevices

This new JB doesn't replace anything on the phone, just jailbreaks it.

I suggest you update to 4.0.1 and sync/backup before applying the jailbreak (unless the different signal bars bother you).

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

How do I jailbreak my iphone 4?

and if I do not like it and restore it, will Apple know it has been jailbroken?

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No, and there are many threads on how to jailbreak, just search this forum.

9. FortMOney thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help guys. I really would rather not upgrade to 4.0.1 cause I don't have any issues with 4.0. Also, which app is it where I can reply to messages on the lock screen or whatever?