Question about January Updates by jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Drucifer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Drucifer macrumors regular

Hi all,

I was going to buy an iPod touch and for $30 more than the price of the 8GB I can get the 16GB version. The issue is it is the old version without the new applications.

I remember reading a post on another site that they guy didn't want to pay for the update so he just jailbroke the iPod to install the applications.

Is this possible? If so how hard is it and would it include the actual applications that Apple provided note just similar applciations from a 3rd party?

Thanks.
    Drew

PS: If there is a guide that might walk me through these steps that would be great. So for the dumb questions but I'm new to the iPod Touch and I just stumbled across this site.

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Yes, quite possible, if you jailbreak, then go to sources, add all that you can, go to iPhone (your firmware) and install that package, ans voila, you are done

3. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thank you for the prompt response. I'm not sure what the firmware is yet as I have not yet made the purchase. Can all iPod Touches be jailbroken now or is it possible I may be screwed if I get a certain firmware?

Also, just to confirm that are the actually Apple applications correct not 3rd party ones? Not that it would really matter assuming they perform the same task.

Thanks again. :D

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

They are the apple ones, you need 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 to install.
    ALL firmwares (except 1.1, but no one wants that) can be jailbroken

5. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect. So if it happens to have 1.1 I can just update via iTunes and then jailbreak it that way?

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

:eek: if you were still on 1.1, that'd be ridiclous, but in answer to your question, yes

7. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will pick it up after work. I may be back later seeking additional help.

8. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

And i will probably still be here:D

9. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

BTW, if I do get it and need to update what firmware is probably the best in regards to functionality? Should I go with 1.1.3?

Also I found a link to the different iPod Touch updates but how do I install the updates? The file was just for the update. Do you I connect the iPod up to my PC via USB and run the update that way? Then when I'm on 1.1.3 jailbreak it?

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

either 1.13 or 1.14 work, but 1.1.3 has more stable apps, and you would need a patch for 1.1.4 to work with most apps

11. Drucifer thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know about the question I asked regarding updating? Can I just run the update after connecting the iPod up to the PC via USB? I already downloaded the 1.1.3 update.