Question about Java update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flipninja, Apr 6, 2012.

1. flipninja macrumors member

Since there is the malware going around, I thought I would check my Java version to make sure its up to date. Turns out when I searched my Java version in the terminal, it says that I have to install Java runtime. So my question is:

Is my java enabled?
    Do i need the Java runtime?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

If you installed OS X Lion or bought it new (if you got a new Mac) and never installed Java, you're in the clear in terms of catching this new trojan.

If you upgraded to OS X Lion from Snow Leopard, you may have Java. I believe it came preinstalled in Snow Leopard.

In your case, you don't have Java. It's not installed/enabled. You only need it if you run Java apps. Just make sure Java is not enabled in Safari if you want to use it for standalone apps.

Safari>Preferences>Security>unclick "Enable Java"

3. flipninja thread starter macrumors member

Well, I did upgrade from Snow leopard. It's an early 2011 macbook pro. So since it did upgrade, should I install java runtime?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Do you use apps that are Java based? There aren't many java desktop apps anymore. If you do download a java app, OS X will let you know it can't run it in Lion and it will proceed to ask you if you want it installed. Software Update then fetches the latest Java runtime for you.

Don't install it if you don't need it. You won't catch this particular trojan if Java isn't installed.

5. flipninja thread starter macrumors member

So far,no. Haven't used a Java based app. So i guess I'm clear from getting this trojan then?

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Haha! Yes, you are clear from getting this particular java-exploiting trojan. But always be on the lookout for shady sites and pirated apps. You'll never know. They may install Java with a pirated app and *BAM* ... infected!

7. flipninja thread starter macrumors member

Ok :) Thanks for the clarifications.

8. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I understand some Java based apps wouldn't work...but if you uninstalled or turned off Java on the Mac, how might that affect web surfing? What sort of sites probably use a lot of Java applets that would no longer function properly?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Chances are good you'd never notice any difference in surfing with Java disabled. Some sites may have items that require Java, but not many. If you land on a site that requires it, you may get a pop-up notification that it's required.