Question about keeping an (unnecessary?) folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnator, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Macnator macrumors 6502

Hey everyone. Last week I had an unfortunate problem with my iMac which resulted in me having to reinstall Leopard.

Now, when it did the reinstall it made a folder called "Previous Systems" on my hard drive. When you open the folder it shows another folder with a date, (when I did the reinstall) and then when I open that it has more folders: Applications, Library, private, System and Users.

Do I need to keep this folder still? I checked the size of it and it was almost 13GB. I'm not sure if I need to keep it because my system is fine now, and I have done backups so it necessary to keep the "Previous System" folder?

Before the reinstall I was using about 116GB-117GB of HDD space. After the reinstall that number went up to about 130GB. (I have since deleted some things and that number is at 126GB currently.) But I think that "Previous System" folder is what is taking up that extra space that wasn't being used before.

Sorry about the long post, and if some of that was hard to understand. Thanks for your help.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That folder is your archive of old data from an "Archive and Install" installation. If you already restored all your data, you can delete it.