Question about keyboard repair, spill!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wh00pers, Apr 10, 2009.

1. wh00pers macrumors newbie

So one night I spilled an alcoholic beverage on my unibody macbook pro :( I turned it off immediately and let it dry for over 24 hours, it's back on and fully working, but the keyboard is sticky, and annoying to type on. I did try cleaning the keys but they still have issues. I want to get it replaced so I talked to Apple and they said they would probably have to replace everything including the logic board which will be around a total of $1200-1400!!

I found this site: http://www.macservice.com/macbookpro.html
    They will replace my keyboard and top case for $395. Is this a good deal and my best option? Any other better options to get my keyboard fixed would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. pyroo macrumors member

it's not the unibody macbook pro right? if not, you can easily pop the keys out with one of those metal nail filers and clean under it....than you can pop it back in when you're done, i spilled slush on mine and the keys would stick and not pop back out because it was so sticky....

also, make sure you don't break the clips on the keys!!!

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I know this may sound crazy, but I have seen and even used more water to clean the computer. My friend spilled Coke on his and let it dried. However it did work but it was super sticky. I was like why not try distilled water. And they it dry. So he took as much of it apart as he felt comfortable and washed it all with distilled water. (Use this because it will not cause corrosion.) Then let it dry really really well then put it back together and it is still working a year later.
    By the way I take no responsibility if you decide to try this. Use your own common sense if you don't feel comfortable.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

As soon as the dried soda is dissolved you no longer have distilled water. So you may as well use tap water. Only the final rinse matters.

Better than water is alcohol. It will dry much quicker and is better at cleaning.

You will have to remove the keyboard from the computer. Likely this wil mean taking out about 1,000 screws. The best way to work in inside a large cake pan or or other container so that dropped parts don't roll off the table to the floor, never to be found. White shirt boxes work too.

Once the K/B os removed soak it in 50% alcohol. You have little to loose as it is already dead. (Isn't that what they tell you in CPR class? You can't make it worse so you may as well try.)

5. wh00pers thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, i don't feel too comfortable doing that, I'll probably just break the keys off. I rather pay for it to be replaced, just trying to find the best deal possible.

6. kowshka macrumors newbie

Sticky Keys

My 1 week old MBP unibody met my morning coffee yesterday and the keys are sticky. FAIL! I work for a telecom and my coworker is insisting i can spray my computer with electrowash and it will not only clean but be okay afterward. Apparently they clean our servers with the stuff but I am a skeptic. Anyone ever heard of this?

7. googan macrumors newbie

I lost my F6

I lost my F6 key of my unibody mac pro after coffee spillage. :/
    There was no sugar in the coffee. However there is a remnant of coffee which results the F6 key not functioning condition. I saw some brown colored areas under the key, when I remove it.

How should i clean it. Is using a hypo and some alcohol applicable?