Question about Language Support

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yetieater, Jul 5, 2007.

1. yetieater macrumors regular

I'll be placing an order for a 15.4" MBP towards the end of this month and I'd like to know exactly what a reinstallation of OS X or use of Monolingual will do to my Mac-to-come. If I remove support for a language will that make it such that I cannot view the language on websites, or will it simply remove the language as an option for input into documents?

Thanks in advance!

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

Depends on what you're removing.
    Not including the language packs for OS X means you can't get a localized version of OS X in that language - e.g. all the menus in that language are unavailable.

Removing languages from apps means the same thing, but app-specific.

However, all the fonts are still there and it should be available as an input method. I've removed all languages from OS X except English and some of the east-Asian languages, but it works fine to view and type in any other.

3. yetieater thread starter macrumors regular

So stripping support for languages that I don't need from Mac OS X itself means that I won't be able to use OS X in that language, correct? I only need to use my operating system in English, but I'd like to be able to read webpages in other languages. :)

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yeppers. All the fonts and such will still be installed, but you can't run OS X in that language.

Stripping languages from apps (and be careful with Monolingual, it strips more than just languages if you don't look carefully enough...) means you can't run the app in that language.

Either way, you can still view things in other languages.