Question About Laptop Insurance.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by z.j.c5, Jul 7, 2009.

1. z.j.c5 macrumors member

Does anyone on here know a good company for insuring MacBook Pro's? I have been looking all over as I am taking the laptop on holiday and want to make sure its covered but I can not seem to find any ones that dont look like there going to take my money and ill never hear from then again.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks
    Z.J.C

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Where are you? Are you looking for travel insurance or long-term insurance?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Usually the company that insures your house and/or car(s) can give you great deals on computer insurance (sometimes free). They don't usually have any problem with payouts because a computer is nothing in comparison to a house or car. These plans usually cover accidental damage and theft, but this isn't a reason to skip AppleCare.

4. z.j.c5 thread starter macrumors member

Its just insurance for the laptop for a couple of months well I go on holiday and for a period when I come back thats what im looking for.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Check with your current insurance company, they probably have something you can add to your current plan.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

?

7. z.j.c5 thread starter macrumors member

8. SMacDuff macrumors 6502

SMacDuff

I recently (two weeks ago) had my late 2008 uMBP stolen from my university. I'm located in Stockholm, Sweden and insured via apartment insurance with a company called Folksam. The apartment insurance covered my Macbook Pro even while I was away at the university. Folksam sent me a form to fill out where I disclosed what was stolen (Macbook Pro, Nikon D90, with motor drive, extra battery and flash, portable HD, etc..total worth in Swedish crowns approx. 35000 SEK) and how much each item was worth when new and how old each item was. They didn't bother to ask what had happened when everything got stolen or the number of the police report. One week later, I received a letter from them stating that they had placed 22900 SEK into my account. They noted that I would receive addition money for the laptop, camera, motor drive and flash once I had repurchased the exact same models and sent them the receipts. Since the 15" Macbook Pros were upgraded during that time, I got the new one instead of the older one. (Still not sure if that's a good thing lol).

All in all, they were very fast and professional. With that said, check your home insurance and see if your laptop is covered both at home and away from home and, if not, whether you can add to your policy to ensure they are covered.