question about leopard launch in the past

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rich2k4, Jun 29, 2009.

1. rich2k4 macrumors regular

when leopard was launched a couple years ago, were all new macs immediately available with leopard preinstalled on the day it was released? Or was there some sort of grace period before you started to see new machines being preinstalled with the OS?

2. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Rich,

From experience, after the release of Leopard (last year) all new machines come with the OS. At the retail stores, there's a supplement Install DVD in the box.

Apple's policy on exchanging products has always been 14 days of a launch date.

For example, if you bought Tiger within 14 days of the Leopard release, you can exchange Tiger for Leopard with no additional cost. Be careful though! This is for APPLE ONLY! Their resellers have different rules.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I got my iMac in late November '07, so about a month after Leopard was released. My iMac didn't have Leopard pre-installed, but it did include an upgrade DVD.

Don

4. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

it depends on product revisions, generally it depends on when the OS goes GM, if it's not GM until a month before OS release, well there's still probably a delay between when they load it onto the factory network.

5. rich2k4 thread starter macrumors regular

im asking because of snow leopard. i'drather have it preinstalled.

on the snow leopard page at the apple site it says that it should be available on all new systems right away

6. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

hmm well I guess there is your answer

7. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

It depends on where you buy it. September 30th or whatever, SL is not going to magically appear on all of the Macs in the Apple Stores. But if you get a BTO machine from apple.com or something, then it will be preinstalled. If it bugs you, take 15 minutes and do a reinstall with the SL dvd that will most likely be inserted in to the box.